New harddisks don't boot when old harddisks are disconnected.

Skybuck Flying

SUCCESS !!

This one little command has averted/prevented dissaster:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

The new harddisks containing windows 7 can now boot without the old
harddisks !

Thank god !

This one little command save the day ! ;) =D

Microsoft has re-deemed itself a little bit....

I shall continue using Microsoft software for now ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

GMAN

Said the total retard that admitted in his very first cry like a
retarded baby post that he "may have" turned it off while it was in the
middle of an update. That can trash a hard drive, you retarded ****, and
THAT is OPERATOR ERROR, not operating system error.

It don't get no dumber than you are, SkyTard Crying.

Real bright, dumbfuck.
Plus the fact that Skytard just admitted to using a pirated copy of Windows 7.

GMAN

SUCCESS !!

This one little command has averted/prevented dissaster:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

The new harddisks containing windows 7 can now boot without the old
harddisks !

Thank god !

This one little command save the day ! ;) =D

Microsoft has re-deemed itself a little bit....

I shall continue using Microsoft software for now ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck =D
Dont you mean "stealing"?

Skybuck Flying

"GMAN" wrote in message

SUCCESS !!

This one little command has averted/prevented dissaster:

bcdboot C:\Windows /s C:

The new harddisks containing windows 7 can now boot without the old
harddisks !

Thank god !

This one little command save the day ! ;) =D

Microsoft has re-deemed itself a little bit....

I shall continue using Microsoft software for now ! ;)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

"
Dont you mean "stealing"?
"

No, it's giving ! ;) =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Skybuck Flying

If that's what happened then it's again Microsoft at fault.

There was absolutely no indication that any update was going on when I
booted the system !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Quadibloc

Ofcourse I tried changing boot order in bios, or tried the boot option menu

What about those little black things on the pins on the hard drive
that you move over to change the disk from "slave" to "master"?

John Savard

FatBytestard

If that's what happened then it's again Microsoft at fault.

There was absolutely no indication that any update was going on when I
booted the system !

Bye,
Skybuck.

Then why did you make the retarded remark in your very first Usenet
newsgroup abusing post?

Oh, that's right. You are so goddamned stupid that you do not know
from one moment to the next what is going on, so you go through life
blaming anything but yourself for your utterly stupid behavior.

YOU are the problem. Period.

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

What about those little black things on the pins on the hard drive
that you move over to change the disk from "slave" to "master"?

John Savard

Boy, you have been out of the loop too long. SkyTard Crying has more
on the ball than you.

That is a huge indictment against you claiming to be intelligent.

There have not been selection jumpers on hard drives for years.
Literally.

Nobody > (Revisited)

There have not been selection jumpers on hard drives for years.
Literally.

Try again.

I just pulled out a WD 500g PATA drive I keep on hand as a spare,

Build Date: 2/17/20111

--
"Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping

Quadibloc

Quadibloc wrote:

   Haven't you seen a new hard drive in years?

Well, I know you can put the black thing in a third place that lets
the drive automatically decide.

And then there _are_ the new SATA drives which don't have this.

But it seemed like an obvious mistake that he could have made...
_unlike_ the one someone else cited: of course your computer won't
boot from your second drive until you've installed an operating system
on that drive. I didn't think to consider even Skybuck making _that_
mistake.

John Savard

Krypsis

Try again.

I just pulled out a WD 500g PATA drive I keep on hand as a spare,

Build Date: 2/17/20111
Indeed! The PATA technology hasn't changed much in recent times, just
been superseded by SATA is all. Many SATA drives have a couple of
jumpers on them. I know one is to make a SATA II backwards compatible
with SATA I. Had the experience where my brand new SATA II drive just
didn't want to work on my SATA I only motherboard. Spent a lot of time
on Google trying to figure out why. Plugged on a jumper and all went well.
Compatibility issues between drive manufacturers and Motherboard
manufacturers is not new with SATA drives. The PATA drives often have a
"compatibility jumper".

Skybuck Flying

If you had any brain parts at all you would know I was just guessing, there
is no real proof of what happened.

It could have been updating, or it could not have, and it could have hanged.

If it was the later, I could have waited for ever ;)

Such logic requires at least an IQ of 5 ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck =D :p

Skybuck Flying

"Quadibloc" wrote in message

Ofcourse I tried changing boot order in bios, or tried the boot option
menu

"
What about those little black things on the pins on the hard drive
that you move over to change the disk from "slave" to "master"?
"

Those are not needed anymore ;)

They are not even present ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

It appears I have saved my system just in time.

This morning it did not want to boot.

I am still unsure of the true cause...

Possiblity 1:

But it's starting to seem that the old harddisk has somewhat died or causing
electrical problems inside the computer.

Somehow the old harddisk knocks out the new harddisk.

The new harddisk then becomes unbootable/unresponsive.

or

Possibility 2:

It's actually the new harddisk which is failing.

However I am currently using it... so it might be a fluke of luck.

Perhaps after I shutdown the power the new harddisk might die again.

I have copied all my critical data files from new harddisk1 to new
harddisk2.

To prevent the likelyhood of losing all.

Sigh... I still have to make CD/DVD copies but that's a lot of work and I
don't really want to do that now... but I should...

So I will... I will probably have to re-install nero on windows 7 and make
some backups...

Fortunately I already backed-up the old drive on my new drive... on the data
drive too... so it should be save... my music was still scatter over old
drives...

I still need one of the old drives... so I should also make a backup of
that... more work to do... a full backup would be nice.. but first my music
collection.

I spent a lot of time collecting them... losing it would be sad.

But I cannot risk re-booting the system yet... I solved the boot problem by
running repair tool, which hang... I run knoppix, which showed one harddisk
missing... then windows failed to boot, after a couple of tries checkdisk
ran... which showed no errors on new drive...

Finally I solved it by disconnecting the old drives... and now the new
drives seem to boot... it was a very weird morning... it has already costed
me 4 hours.

If the new drives are indeed defective then it could be because of the chip
inward design was I wrote about some time ago...

I also suspect airflow does not solve "heat pockets of air"... so PC's might
be flawed... but time will tell..

For now I will not waste more time on this message... just letting you know
it was a very weird day and how to solve weird boot problems:

Try disconnecting suspicious drives ! ;)

Oh yeah the reason why I believed this might solve it is because of the:
"harddisk protocol"... somehow these harddisk have to communicate with each
other or the bus... which goes first and such... apperently the old harddisk
is somehow disrupting that protocol... so by disabling the old harddisk
things appeared to work again... but for how long I don't know...

Next time when I buy harddisks... I should label them somehow... because
it's difficult to tell which is which ! ;) :) But labels could be
dangerous... definetly don't stick them over the hole... they could trap
maybe heat... and they could get loose, so maybe labels bad idea... but it
would be nice if it was somehow possible ;)

But better next... since airflow could blow it towards something... I will
just have to use more trial and error to see which one it was which is bad
and good ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I have ended up in a sort of catch22 or a paradox or a vicious circle...

I sorta of need nero, but nero is located on one of the disconnected drives.

I cannot power down my system because I am not sure if it will power up
again.

I could use a trial version but really don't want to... I am not even sure
if it's a trial or the full thing.

I kinda fed up too ! ;) :)

So kinda funny situation.

Oh well... I am going to idle some more ;) until I figure out what I want to
do ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Skybuck Flying

Both my old harddisks are now virtualized.

For the second/data drive I used dsk2vhd tool from Microsoft and it seemed
to have worked nicely.

Both drives are each about 470 GB or so.

Today all/4 drives seems to work as normal, but I only connected 3 drives at
a time.

Perhaps yesterday was a weird/unlucky day with electricity behaving weird.

Or maybe today was a lucky day and a fluke of luck.

Whatever the case may be I have also made a backup of my music.

The most important data is now at least double backed up on 2 drives.

I could even backup it up to 4 drives, but 2 should be enough.

The older ones also have older backups.

I am not more relaxed but still a bit worried what will happen the next few
days when I think about it.

I also have not yet made any CD/DVD backups of the most important data.

The music VHD is about 8 GB. So it should fit on a DVD compressed or so.

I am thinking it slowly/a step a day... maybe tomorrow I will make some DVD
backups ;) :)

I think it's also a good idea to place the DVD's inside a box inside a
temperature stable room which I rare go into.

This will stabilize the temperature somewhat and will hopefully prevent the
DVD metal from bending for longer lasting live.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

Both my old harddisks are now virtualized.

For the second/data drive I used dsk2vhd tool from Microsoft and it seemed
to have worked nicely.

Both drives are each about 470 GB or so.

Today all/4 drives seems to work as normal, but I only connected 3 drives at
a time.

Perhaps yesterday was a weird/unlucky day with electricity behaving weird.

Or maybe today was a lucky day and a fluke of luck.

Whatever the case may be I have also made a backup of my music.

The most important data is now at least double backed up on 2 drives.

I could even backup it up to 4 drives, but 2 should be enough.

The older ones also have older backups.

I am not* (* typo corected: now) more relaxed but still a bit worried what
will happen the next few
days when I think about it.

I also have not yet made any CD/DVD backups of the most important data.

The music VHD is about 8 GB. So it should fit on a DVD compressed or so.

I am thinking it slowly/a step a day... maybe tomorrow I will make some DVD
backups ;) :)

I think it's also a good idea to place the DVD's inside a box inside a
temperature stable room which I rare go into.

This will stabilize the temperature somewhat and will hopefully prevent the
DVD metal from bending for longer lasting live.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I am also very happy that I virtualized my drives, especially the data
drives.

Some of the content on there took a long time to download and might be
scarse in the future... it might be hard to come by in the future...

There is some nice stuff on there... so this makes me really happy ! ;) =D

Hopefully it will last for a much longer time then my previous hd's and cd's
which went bad...

This virtualized technology should last a much longer time. So the new plan
is to take data with me from computer to computer.

The backup of the drives takes 1 TB, the new drive has 2 TB available.

So this leaves 1 TB for new stuff which should be plenty for games and apps
and stuff...

The new drive currently has 377 GB available or so.. it has a duplicate vhd
which could be deleted to free up an additional 470 GB... but for now I will
let the duplicate exist since I don't need the free space (yet).

This could also be an interesting backup strategy, make multiple copies of
the same stuff if you don't need the free space, to survive bad sectors more
easily.

This could also be developed into a new file system strategy for Microsoft
Windows, where Microsoft Windows uses the free space to make the system more
redundant and more fault tolerant against bad sectors.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

I also found a pretty cool tool called: "WinMount" it can be used to mount
he vmdk files in windows so they become accesable from the windows explorer.

So old C drive was backed up to VMDK.
So old D drive was backed up to VHD.

(The VHD can be mounted by windows itself, unfortunately the VMDK needs a
special tool)

Also VMWare also has a tool for it but might require the vm system to be
effective and might have other drawbacks like not being able to use it as
the same time when using vmware to boot virtualized systems.

Also the WinMount tool has the drawback of having a limited trial period of
15 days or so... there also seems to be a free 32 bit version, but I am not
sure if it will work with windows 7 64 bit.

Maybe I'll find a trial key somewhere ! LOL ;) =D

Just like games/blood: "I need a key !" And I found a key ! ;) =D

Oh well...

Otherwise I could also make another copy of the vmdk and turn it into a VHD
just so I can boot the old system and play quake3 which is on it ;)

I could re-install quake but then I would loose my stats which would kinda
suck ! ;) :) =D

Bye,
Skybuck.