Networking with NT 4

Tech

I have a client that has a few XP Pro boxes, but insists on adding an old
NT4 box. For some reason, I can not get the boxes to see each other. They
are all connected to the internet through a Linksys BEFSX41 router. They
all see the internet just fine. They can all ping each other, but the NT
box cannot see the XP boxes or vice versa.

Any thought?

Tech

Suddenly the one of the XP boxes now sees the NT box, but when you try to
access the NT box, it says "Network Path Cannot be found"

Juan Pablo Barrios [uy]

The network configuration is WorkGroup or Domain??? The IP adresses are
asigned static or dynamically?

You try pinging between XP <--> NT
Works on both ways? Only one? Which one?

Tech

The IP addresses are DHCP from the router. They are both in "WORKGROUP" and
they can ping both directions XP to NT and NT to XP.
The NT box is NT4.0 with SP6a
The XP Pro boxes are with SP1a

Tech

The IP addresses are DHCP from the router. They are both in "WORKGROUP" and
they can ping both directions XP to NT and NT to XP.
The NT box is NT4.0 with SP6a
The XP Pro boxes are with SP1a

Tech

As of now:
Pinging an XP box times out (Request timed out)
Pinging name of xp machine (Bad IP address {computer name})
Start>Run>{computer name} Network Path not found

So this leads me to believe problem may reside in XP boxes (I could swear I
did these same things earlier, but maybe it was only from the XP to the NT
box)

Any more ideas???

Juan Pablo Barrios said:
I would do the follwing test steps:

From the NT machine:

-from CMD [PING "IP_of_an_XP"]
-from CMD [PING "name_of_XP_machine"]
-start --> RUN --> \\"name_of_XP_machine"

What step fails? What is the error message?

--

Saludos,
Juan Pablo.

Tech said:
The IP addresses are DHCP from the router. They are both in "WORKGROUP" and
they can ping both directions XP to NT and NT to XP.
The NT box is NT4.0 with SP6a
The XP Pro boxes are with SP1a

try

Juan Pablo Barrios [uy]

The Firewall in the XP boxes is enabled???
The same steps made from the XP computer to the NT computer, what results
got?

--

Saludos,
Juan Pablo.

Juan Pablo Barrios said:
I would do the follwing test steps:

From the NT machine:

Tech said:
The IP addresses are DHCP from the router. They are both in
"WORKGROUP"
and
they can ping both directions XP to NT and NT to XP.
The NT box is NT4.0 with SP6a
The XP Pro boxes are with SP1a

"Tech" <[email protected]> escribió en el mensaje
Suddenly the one of the XP boxes now sees the NT box, but when you try
access the NT box, it says "Network Path Cannot be found"

I have a client that has a few XP Pro boxes, but insists on
adding
an
old
NT4 box. For some reason, I can not get the boxes to see each other.
They
are all connected to the internet through a Linksys BEFSX41 router.
They
all see the internet just fine. They can all ping each other,
but
the
NT
box cannot see the XP boxes or vice versa.

Any thought?

Tech

Ping XP to NT box IP Address replies well
Ping XP to NT box netbios name replies well
\\{computer name} "The Network path was not found
XP firewall is off

Juan Pablo Barrios said:
I would do the follwing test steps:

From the NT machine:

[...]

you
try
access the NT box, it says "Network Path Cannot be found"

I have a client that has a few XP Pro boxes, but insists on adding
an
old
NT4 box. For some reason, I can not get the boxes to see each
other.
They
are all connected to the internet through a Linksys BEFSX41 router.
They
all see the internet just fine. They can all ping each other, but
the
NT
box cannot see the XP boxes or vice versa.

Any thought?

Yor Suiris

IT is a Name resolution problem, XP and NT use different methods to resolve
network names.
What do YOU use for YOUR network?
DNS, WINS or HOSTS??????

Tech

Name resolution does not make sense as even going direct with IP address I
still have problems

Yor Suiris

But you said "They can all ping each other, but the NT box cannot see the XP
boxes or vice versa"
So it is Name Resolution, ???

Tech

Lets talk as though there is only one XP box to make it simple.

As of now the XP box can ping the IP address and netbios name of the NT box.
When the XP box tries to connect to the NT box via \\{netbiosname}it states
Network path not found.
When the XP box tries to connect to the NT box via "My Network Places" it
states "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

When the NT box tries to ping the XP box it gets "Request timed out" for
both the IP address and the netbios name.
When the NT box tries to access the XP box via "Network Neighborhood" it
states "\\{netbiosname} is not accessible The network path was not found"

There are NO firewalls running on the machines. The only firewall is the
router.