both dial-ups. They are only 35'apart and connected by
CAT5 crossover cable. Both have been through the windows
network wizard and nothing happens. The host is
recognized but the client isn't.
I am totaly green at this and really need some "dummy"
help.

G

Here We Go!!

First of all make sure that the Workgroups have the same name. Right-click my computer, go to properties. Press the Computer name tab, and call them both the same. Note that the Computer name should be different but the Workgroup should be the same. (You may have to restart at this point

Now open up Network Connections (Start> My Network Places) and click on the "View network connections". This is where it gets a bit tricky! On the Primary computer which has the internet and maybe a printer you want to share right click the Local Area Network Icon In front of you and go to properties. Click on TCP-IP and go to properties. Select the box which says use the following IP Address, In the IP Address fields put 192.168.0.1 Subnet mask should read 255.255.255.0 and lastly in the perfered DNS Server put 192.168.0.1 The rest of the field should be left blank. Click Okay and restart if necessary. We are now finished with this computer for now so lets go to the second computer

Open up Network Connections again (Start> My Network Places) and click on the "View network connections". On this computer (secondary) right click the Local Area Network Icon In front of you and go to properties. Click on TCP-IP and go to properties. Select the box which says use the following IP Address, In the IP Address fields put 192.168.0.11 Subnet mask should read 255.255.255.0 Now defaul gateway put 192.168.0.1 and lastly in the perfered DNS Server put 192.168.0.1 The last field (alternative dns server) should be left blank. Click Okay and restart if necessary

The computers should now be shared. If you want to share internet or printers, reply to me and I'll post a reply

J

jim

I am not original poster.

That was cool....understood that....now, how to get on the
Internet and file sharing? Do you have more "clear and
simple" instructions for that?
Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
Here We Go!!!

First of all make sure that the Workgroups have the same
name. Right-click my computer, go to properties. Press the
Computer name tab, and call them both the same. Note that
the Computer name should be different but the Workgroup
should be the same. (You may have to restart at this point)
Now open up Network Connections (Start> My Network
Places) and click on the "View network connections". This
is where it gets a bit tricky! On the Primary computer
which has the internet and maybe a printer you want to
share right click the Local Area Network Icon In front of
you and go to properties. Click on TCP-IP and go to
properties. Select the box which says use the following IP
Address, In the IP Address fields put 192.168.0.1 Subnet
mask should read 255.255.255.0 and lastly in the perfered
DNS Server put 192.168.0.1 The rest of the field should be
left blank. Click Okay and restart if necessary. We are
now finished with this computer for now so lets go to the
second computer.
Open up Network Connections again (Start> My Network
Places) and click on the "View network connections". On
this computer (secondary) right click the Local Area
Network Icon In front of you and go to properties. Click
on TCP-IP and go to properties. Select the box which says
use the following IP Address, In the IP Address fields put
192.168.0.11 Subnet mask should read 255.255.255.0 Now
defaul gateway put 192.168.0.1 and lastly in the perfered
DNS Server put 192.168.0.1 The last field (alternative dns
server) should be left blank. Click Okay and restart if
necessary.
The computers should now be shared. If you want to share
internet or printers, reply to me and I'll post a reply

G

Okay Jim, this is how it's done.

The best way is to do this is to enable file printer sharing and enable Internet sharing this can be done as follows: -

File Sharing: -

By default file sharing is enabled but lets just check that! Go to start> My network Place. Click 'view network connections' now in the list infron of you will be file sharing, make sure it is ticked. If not checked, check it and exit.

Now create a folder which you want to share and right click on it. Go to Sharing and security on the menu. Click the box 'share this folder on this network' and give the folder a name. click apply and okay. Do this for both computers

Now go back to My Netwok Places and click on 'view workgroup computers' click on the computer in which you want to access a shared folder or file. You should see the folder shared in front of you. Double click it and you will see the folder you made earlier on the other computer. If you click back and go to where the folder shared was. Right click on the shared folder and click map network drive. All the setting should be filled in and all you have to do is press finish. (Do this for both computers)

Now exit everything and go to my computer. You will notice that there is a new drive there. Click on it and it will show the shared documents!

Internet Sharing: -

Go onto the primary computer which has the modem attached to it. Go to My Network Places and right click your Internet connection. One of the tabs will be Internet Sharing or Sharing or something similar. Click the check box enable internet connection sharing (ICS) . If you want the other computer to dial up when the primary computer is not connected to the internet. click enable on demand (or something similar). Now click apply. You will be presented with a box which talks about IP address, just press okay or ignore (can't remember) and okay again to exit. You may have to restart

Your now done! The internet should work. If not reply to this and tell me what the problem is.

Justin

Ask a Question