Networking Trubs

G

I'm working with a small business network. Both computers are running XP Pro. Both computers can share files and see each other in Network Neighborhood. My problem is connecting to the internet via the dailup modem on the host compter.

With the Lan cards enabled the host computer tries to connect but will only stay connected for about a minute then disconnect. The second computer will not even try to connect when you want.

If I disable the lan connection on either computer the host computer will connect and stay connected to the internet until you disconnect.

Both computers are hooked together via a cross-over cable. I was wondering should I use straight connections via a hub instead of the cross-over cable?

Are there any answers out there?

thanks

C

Chuck

I'm working with a small business network. Both computers are running XP Pro. Both computers can share files and see each other in Network Neighborhood. My problem is connecting to the internet via the dailup modem on the host compter.

With the Lan cards enabled the host computer tries to connect but will only stay connected for about a minute then disconnect. The second computer will not even try to connect when you want.

If I disable the lan connection on either computer the host computer will connect and stay connected to the internet until you disconnect.

Both computers are hooked together via a cross-over cable. I was wondering should I use straight connections via a hub instead of the cross-over cable?

Are there any answers out there?

thanks

Frank,

If you can connect the two computers, and share files, you have no problem with
connectivity. The cross-over cable, or a hub with straight-thru cables, are
identical in connectivity.

When you have the LAN connection on the host computer enabled, is it enabling a
bridge between the dialup connection and the LAN connection? If so, delete the
bridge. Enable ICS on the host, between the dialup and the LAN connection. Or
use a third party proxy, like Analogx Proxy (free) from
<http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm>.

If you get ICS enabled, then setup your second computer to use DHCP ("Obtain IP
address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically"). If you
use a proxy server, you'll have to configure the internet applications on the
second computer to use the proxy (not a transparent solution).

Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit safer.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Ask a Question