Networking question

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have FINALLY received my long-awaited Talktalk broadband modem through the post, and want to get it set up ASAP, but have a networking question or two.

In my household I have one very nice G4 Mac Powerbook, with built-in wifi and everything. I also have an appallingly old Dell Optiplex GX110, and I would like to get them both online.

My girlfriend, whose laptop it is, wants a wireless connection. I'd rather be connected via ethernet cable as I hear it's faster and more reliable, and I already have an ethernet card installed, but no wireless card.

Could you recommend a router which supports both wifi and ethernet cable output? Is there such a thing? I've been looking at a few on the net and can't really see...

Is it worth getting a router with built-in firewall? I don't really want to pay for a firewall, and I hear there are some good free software ones available for download, so I'd rather go that way if it's effective enough at keeping my PC secure.

Many thanks in advance

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, there is such a thing ... I have an ADSL Modem/Router 2 Ethernet/one USB port & upto 10 wireless connections, got mine free off BT. ;)

Although it's possible to buy a broadband (ADSL) modem and a separate wireless router, it's easiest to buy one device that does both. The modem part receives your broadband connection by connecting to your telephone line, while the router part sends it wirelessly to other computers around the house. There may also be some 'Ethernet' sockets on the router if you want to use a cable connection for some of your computers.
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/...ticle=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.BROADBAND.GUIDE

No idea why TT did not offer you one. :)

Reaction score
yeah that does seem kinda cheeky. Looks like I'm off down the shops to buy myself one then. Cheers

Ask a Question