Windows XP Networking PC to Laptop

Reaction score
I have just been given a laptop from work it is a Compaq Presario 1240 it isnt working at the moment because I need to buy a mains adapter but anyway.... It has a D-Link Fast Ethernet DFE-650TX 10/100Mbps card in it but no cables, my PC has windows XP on it and so will my laptop once I have got it up and running, the way we use the computers at work is by logging each user logging onto the server through remote desktop that is the way I want to do it I think that way when I save things and open apllications it will be opeing them directly from my main pc, if I am going about this the wrong way and the is a better way then please advise me, so I want my main PC to be the server and the laptop to connect to it through remote desktop I want wirless network by the way, My main pc has a ethernet card built into the board this is connected to my braodband modem at the moment. All I really want the laptop for is playing a Football Manager game online over the net, so can you please advice me on what I would need to achieve this ?

Reaction score
You will need to buy a wireless kit to connect both machines and then set up your desktop as the Gateway machine. Networking 2 XP machines is fairly simple via a crossover RJ45 cable so I don't think doing it the wireless way will be much different.Just make sure your firewall is configured to allow the connection and you should be OK.

Reaction score
buy a wireless router, plug it into broadband connection. your pc and laptop can then connect to each other via router. you'll need some knowledge to configure the router but once you do you'll have the best possible solution - you'll be able to go the the internet even if PC is turned off (i would recommend this much more than any PC gateway connection) you'll be able to do remote desktop to PC as well.

by the way, fastest wireless connections are still not as fast as 100mbit ethernet cables so you might want to consider that as well.

Ask a Question