From: "LarryS" <[email protected]>
Subject: Network Printing
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:46:37 -0000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Greetings,
I have two computers (both running XP home edition) network together and to broadband via a Netgear DG814
Gateway. Part of
our setup is a HP 930c DeskJet printer. When the printer was USB connected to one computer, all worked 'as
advertised': the
HP software provided previews and two-sided printing control and Windows provided spooling of sufficient size
as to
immediately take any document we printed and release the application (WordPro, Word, Internet Explorer, etc) for
additional
work.

However, not wanting to have one computer host the printer, I added a Netgear PS101 Mini Print Server. This
works in that
either computer can print, but apparently there is no spooling capability, because the application is not released
for
further work until all printing has completed. I (reluctantly) accept that the HP software is not network enabled and I
miss
the preview (other that what Word, etc., provides) and two-sided print control the HP software provided, but I would
expect
the built-in HP print drivers and system spooler to work.

Is there a) any way I can regain the spooling capability and b) the two-side printing control?

Thank you.

LarryS
--

Larry,

What are we using for a port for the printer, is it something from Netgear, Standard TCP/IP, etc.? It sounds like we are using
the printer driver that came with Windows XP, if this is the case go to the Advanced tab in the printers Properties and make
sure the options "Spool print documents so program finishes printing faster" and "Start printing immediately" are selected.
Also on this tab click the "Print Processor" button and see what processor the driver is using.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

LarryS

Bill,

The port is configured by the NetGear software and is a Standard TCP/IP port, identified as IP_192.168.0.5, the protocol is
Raw, and the port number is 9100. It is not shared, and the spool options are set to spool and print immediately, and print
spooled documents first. The print processor is WinPrint with the default datatype as RAW; the alternatives are PrintPort
Print Processor (part of the PrintPort application?) and jDocPrc (about which I know nothing).

Thank you for looking into this for me.
Larry

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "LarryS" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Network Printing
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 05:57:44 -0000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing

Bill,

The port is configured by the NetGear software and is a Standard TCP/IP port, identified as IP_192.168.0.5, the
protocol is
Raw, and the port number is 9100. It is not shared, and the spool options are set to spool and print immediately,
and print
spooled documents first. The print processor is WinPrint with the default datatype as RAW; the alternatives are
PrintPort
Print Processor (part of the PrintPort application?) and jDocPrc (about which I know nothing).

Thank you for looking into this for me.
Larry
--

Larry,

It sounds like we have everything configured correctly. What happens if we double click the printer to get into the print
queue, then select Pause Printing from the Print menu, and then print something? By doing this we should see the job
spooled and the queue should hold it until we unpause it. I'm wondering how your program will behave, does it return once
the spooling is completed or does it wait until we unpause the queue and printing is completed.

By the way, I'm not sure what jDocPrc is either.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

LarryS

Bill,

The application is immediately released (I tried three: printing this item, printing a web page, and printing a WordPro
letter) and I can continue working with it or close it and the document remains in the print queue. 'Un-pausing' the printer
then starts the document printing, as expected. Does this help? In a way, this is a viable workaround, but just doesn't
seem as if it should be necessary.

Thanks
Larry