Network printer problem

Reaction score
I have a simple two PC Home network. Both PCs run Windows XP Home.
The main PC is wired to a Linksys WRT54G Router and then to an Ntl Broadband modem. This computer has a Canon S520 printer connected by USB.
The distant computer has a Linksys WUSB54G Wireless Adapter
From my distant computer I can:
access the Internet
see and access shared files
see the shared printer
do a nozzle check on the shared printer
see the two workgroup computers
It seems that all is well
BUT if I try to use the distantant computer to print from Word, Excel, Explore, Wordpad, etc then I get an error message in each case.

I am using DHCP automatic configuration, wireless SSID broadcast is disabled, Security is PSK/TCIP

I have tried all sorts of things (too numerous to list) including downloading and installing the latest Canon s520 driver.

PLEASE can anyone help

P.S. I am a User with some (it is all relative I know) knowledge

Reaction score
How was this printer installed? Directly on the remote PC and directed to the printer while installing? Or did you go to the Add Printer Wizard and directed it to this printer?

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply

I installed using Add Printer Wizard and then directing it to the printer.

In talking to an IT person at my College he suggests my problem might be printer permissions. Problem here seems to be that with Windows XP Home you cannot disable "Simple File Sharing" and therefore cannot get the Security Tab in Printer Properties.

Any thoughts on whether my problem might be printer permissions. If so, then are there workarounds to be able to view and edit printer permissions?

Reaction score
Is it possible for you to post the error messages you are getting from each application you are trying to print from? Let's start there and work our way towards a solution.

Reaction score
These are the error messages I get:

Word – Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup. Try one of the following 1) Check the printer by printing a test page from Windows 2) Make sure the printer is turned on and online 3) Reinstall the printer driver

Excel – Your file could not be printed due to an error on \\Study\Canons520 on Ne02. There are several possible reasons 1) There might not be enough memory available. Try closing files and programs you are not using 2) If you use a network for printing there may be a problem with the network connection or the printer driver 3) There may be loose cables or a bad connection between your computer nad printer

Internet Explorer – An error has occurred on the script on this page Line 1774, Char 1, Error Unspecified, Code 0, URL res//C\Windows\system32\shdocl.dll/preview.dlg

Where it suggests a remedy I have tried but to no avail.

Does this help at all?

Reaction score
Definately sounds like a driver issue. Uninstall the driver, after doing this you should run Regedit, remove all references to Canon in the Registry. Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER: in the Printers folder and Software Folder. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: in the Software folder. And under HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG: System, CurrentControlSet, Control, Print, Printers. ONLY REMOVE REFERENCES TO CANON. If you have a Canon Camera installed, you might have to uninstall and reinstall it aswell. Restart your PC and reinstall the printer driver. See if this helps. JUST REMEMBER to do a Registry Back-up before you delete these keys just in case.

Ask a Question