Network Games NOOB

Reaction score
Hey,

Now most of my mates have joined the 21st century and bought themselves decent computers im thinking of having some gaming nights. So, i guess im looking for advice about how to go about it. We can get all the computers into one flat as a few of them are laptops.

All the computers will be running XP, probably mostly XP home. Is it as simple as buying a network hub and some cable?

Would like to play something like Counter Strike or Age of Empires II etc.

OK, sorry this is a bit of a crap posting, i'll try and help by having some ACTUAL questions! haha.

1. Do i just need a hub and some cabling? (if yes, any recommendatios to makes/models)

2. Do we ALL need copies of the game we are going to play or can we install a game and all play from the same serial number?

3. VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION: Do we need networking knowledge?? Are games as fickle as XP when it comes to networking, or if we all plug into a hub, should a LAN game work??

Thanks guys, help would be appreciated from those in the know as i would like to get this going.

Bodhi

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the only one of thse i can answer is that you all need to have your own copy of the game

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yup, it should be as simple as buying a hub plus cables - and if it's just for LAN parties then any cheap hub/router will do. Be sure to get patch cables, not crossover cables when buying the network cabling.

Each game is different, but generally you all need a copy of the game to get it to run (some don't though).

You should just be able to run the network wizard and all join the same workgroup - it has worked for us each time we have done it, but I wouldn't be surprised if one computer doesn't like it. :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I did know to get patch cables rather than crossover cables before. Only thing i was concerned about was that ive tried to network computers running XP before using a crossover cable and it didnt work and i just didnt have the knowledge to fix it. Didnt want all the boys to haul their stuff to one place only to find it didnt work. Apparantly running a network on a hub is MUCH more simple than a direct crossover cable though.

You are right though Ian, its just NOT going to work as smoothly as it SHOULD though is it!! haha.

Ask a Question