Network Crashed

Joe Bloe

I installed on Win XP Pro and my network workgroup
connection no longer functions. My Internet connection to
my Gateway server still works, however. I've had no luck
in trying to restore the network connection. 47 items
were removed during the scan.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Sven,

What firewall product are you using?

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

Jon G

There is a perfectly good explanation for this. A lot of Spyware adds itself
as a part of the Winsock LSP. In some cases these may not be additions but
replacements. It is very easy for a Winsock to become corrupt especially
after a removal of a layer. The tool you mention is simply a winsock repair
tool and this is a very, very common problem that is 99% percent of the time
related, in some form, to spyware or the removal of it.

If you are using XP SP2 you can accomplish the same this tool does by going
to Start - Run and typing "netsh winsock reset" (minus quotes)

If you are using pre-SP2 or 2k then the following article does the same
thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817571

Perhaps a good suggestion would be to add detection for corrupt winsock and
repair if necessary but honestly this is easier said than done.

HTH

-Jon

Sven Thirion

Morning Steve,

The Firewall in question is the Microsoft one. We also
use SonicWall. The issue I had was that the MS Firewall
stopped and there was no way to start it up again. The
message I got when trying to start it up from the control
panel was: "Windows cannot start the windows
firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service". The
issue probably had to do with the winsock as repairing
the TCP/IP stack solved the problem. Now I can't turn the
MS Firewall off anymore, but that's fine with me. The
only spyware MS detected on my system was NewDot (as I
use Ad-Aware and normally do not download "free"
software), so that program most likely caused the
problem. It would be good if MS would automatically fix
the winsock as a lot of the people using your tools will
not be experienced users. I also noticed that there is a
significant delay (sometimes) when switching between
applications (in my case MSIE browsers) when one runs
your program in the background.

All in all a great program (easy to use, graphically
attractive), but it should not have been released to the
general public yet.
From: "Sven Thirion" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Sven Thirion" <[email protected]>
Subject: Network Crashed
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 08:02:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking

Think twice before installing this anti-spyware!!!

My Firewall as well as my network stopped working !!! But
the program at http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?
ttid=257 was able to restore them both!

Thanks Brad!
connection

.

Shane Keough

Thank you very much, I did have to re-run the network
wizard, but the firewall and the internet connection for
my other computer has been restored.

Bill Sanderson

Are you seeing a performance issue, then? Out of curiosity, what antivirus
are you running, and does turning off real-time scanning in the antivirus
change the performance aspect of your issues?