Network Cable Unplugged

Reaction score
Hi

I have tried to network my desktop and laptop with a crossover cable but the message 'Network Cable Unplugged' appears on both computers.

The desktop is running XP Pro and the laptop XP home. They both have built in Realtek NICs.

I have tried resetting the computer, pulling the cable in and out but the message does not change. I have also used the ping command on the loopback ip and it works so the NIC cards should work.

I looked at the other posts but I couldn't find anything that could help me in it.

If you know anything that could help... would it be better to set up the network manually as XP could be trying to look for a normal ethernet cable?

Thanks

Sam

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The network Wizard should work ...

Are you sure it’s a "cross-over" cable ... try another cable from Maplins.

If you’re going to do a lot of "transfers" then I would suggest you invest in a Router ... that will give you the best of both worlds and one can be had for under £40. ;)

Reaction score
It is a cat-5e crossover cable. I only want to use it to go on the net with my laptop sometimes. I also wireless NIC cards but I can't get them to work either :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Run the "Internet Connection Sharing Wizard" from the desktop system ... then use the XP CD to "finish off" on the laptop. :)

Reaction score
is there any point if windows doesn't recognise the connection in the first place???

J

Ask a Question