Network Cable Unplugged (Grrr!)

Reaction score
I've just got a new desktop comp HP 3150 (vista) with built in Intel(R) PRO/100ve Network connection. I've tried to set it up in a home network with my old comp (486 series XP(SP2)/originally ME) with Realtek 10/100 NIC card seated in PCI slot using crossover cable(s). Eventually I want to share Internet Access through Broadband Connection, printing and file sharing. But before I can go that far...

Both comps are showing the network icon (with red x) in the sys tray and bubble message "Network cable unplugged".

Having trawled many forums such as these i have come across many 'solutions' and used them all in varying combnations, including:
  • Installed as per instructions
  • Re-installed
  • Reseated card
  • Tried alternative PCI slots & cables
  • Tried to update driver (file on setup sotware is 2004 but there's no on-line support/update function for the NIC, so just finds it on the setup disc or in temp files on PC - so downloaded latest direct from RealTek - still nothing.)
  • Changed settings from "autodetect/negotiation" to "100 fullplex & half, 10 full & half"
  • Troubleshot both cards ("working properly")
  • Installed LLTD protocol on XP comp (although i think this is irrelevant at this stage if either comp thinks there's no connection - same with network set up wizards, which i did anyway.)
But no luck so far.

Any ideas?

I'm hoping to avoid the "get a router etc and go wireless" answer (unless there's no alternative) and I'm given the impression that a hub set up isn't necessary with two comps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you kindly - I appreciate the effort and have bookmarked that for future reference, but that is kind of running before it can walk re: solving the current problem.

As neither PC knows the other is there because of the "network cable unplugged" issue (as referred in original post) whether one PC or the other has a BB modem and the possibility of sharing a connection is a moot(sp?) point if I can't set up the network in the first place...

Reaction score
If your want to network two PC's may I suggest buying a Router?

Depending on what service you go with you will need 1 of two

ADSL for access to a telephone line as provided by a company such as BT
Cable for access to a company provide such as Virgin media (NTL)

You are going to need one anyway for when you connect to your Broadband service. It will make all things easier believe me

You can use a hub if you wish but unless your MS certified I wouldnt suggest it
Go for a router as suggested. Namely Netgear or Belkin

Last edited:
Reaction score
From the horse's mouth. How to connect two computers using a crossover ethernet cable:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/da25b51f-8c3d-e025-74aa-1fa3f29f6cdd1033.mspx

Although I do not yet run Vista I found it interesting that Vista supports neither direct serial cable nor infrared incoming connections!!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930086

[Edit - Incidentally I agree with the previous poster that the simplest method is to use a router and if youare not yet broadband connected you can probably get one free of charge (or at least very cheaply) from your ISP]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Again, thanks for the links and suggestions.

Im guessing that the Router solution is the only one left if it's the one being suggested.

Of course if I do get a modem for the new PC I believe I lose the ethernet socket to that anyway! So will probably end up wireless...

PS - Shouting at it didn't help, but did make me feel better.

PPS - If the reason for the problem and/or a solution becomes apparent I shall post it up for future reference.

Ask a Question