Netbook or Laptop?

Reaction score
Not sure if to buy a netbook s or buy a cheapish Laptop at about £400?
Was thinking of dual booting it with Linux?
Any advice would be useful.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Are you going to travel with it!

A good compromise is one of the newer 13" notebooks gives you portability and decent processing power, If i'm not mistaken Ian has one of these..
Is it just for surfing and email or will you be photo processing and other operations on it!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I've got a little 12" laptop - the size/weight of a netbook but more powerful. So it's ideal for using on the move but powerful enough to do most things. I don't use it much in the house, only when I'm away - so being light was the main requirement.

The downside of these devices is that they cost a little more than a laptop with a bigger screen, so unless you need the portability then I'd go for a standard laptop.

With hindsight, I'd have spent a little more than I did (mine was around £350 IIRC) and bought a laptop with an SSD - as the slow 4200RPM drive does bog it down. I may upgrade to an SSD at a later date as prices are dropping fast (about £60 for a 64GB SSD).

If you let us know a little big about how it's going to be used we may be able to recommend one :). Do you need it to be very light and portable or is it not going to be used out of the house? Is there going to be any moderate gaming played on it? How much storage do you need (as this may rule out an SSD)>

Reaction score
Going to be used mostly for MS Office, a bit of surfing the net and accounts.
Nothing to major but undecided if to go netbook or full blown laptop?

Cheers for the help on this guys.

Reaction score
Sounds terrible for a PC forum, but i'd go with an iPad.
Excellent for typing and browsing and in the right price range.

Ask a Question