Windows XP .NET Framework won't update.

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just joined you as I have a problem with the update of .NET Framework from 1.1 to 3.5.

I have a Compaq Presario running WinXP2, SP3.
I have the free Avira security suite, Windows own security system, plus PC Tools Spyware Doctor and MalwareBYtes.
I have AOL 9.0VR with their own spyware as well.

A few weeks ago, .NET Framework was trying to update my system from the 1.1 version to the 3.5, along with security updates. I was having trouble with my PC restarting itself frequently at the same time, which was coinciding with these updates, according to the event log.I did a recovery on it on the advice from another forum.
The recovery went well, but alas, I think I only managed to do a repair, not a full factory recovery.
However, the PC was running well and faster and not freezing or mysteriously shutting down.I installed all my programmes etc and Windows did all the updates automatically.I was very pleased until it came to the update of .NET Framework...The 1.1 version that was already there managed an auto-update to service pack 2...Then it tried to update further..this appears to be impossible, and every night on shutdown, I have an update trying to install...always .NET FRamework.
The event viewer is not much help (at least to me!). It always says failed and gives error code 1603 along with the message:
".NET Framework 2.0 service pack 2 update. '.NETFramework WinForms could not be installed. Error code 1603'. There is a problem with this Windows installer package."

On going to the Microsoft update site, I am told that Windows has critical updates that need to be installed on my PC, or my PC's performance may be compromised.

Can anyone help, please. I am not experienced with these problems and although I have read answers on the forum, I am worried about doing something wrong without proper guidance.
Thanking you in advance.

Ask a Question