need XP/Vista upgrade and dual boot advice

Richard Eagle

Well, I need to open the case anyway to change the video card, and
the jumpers are set to cable select I think. It will only take a second
to disconnect the XP drive. I'll do that just for peace of mind while I
install Vista.

Thanks for the info. When I get a bettter PC in a year or so, I may try
the Virtual PC 2007.

Richard

why not just turn off/disable the drive in the bios instead of messing with
the dinky cables and pins.
just for info, I have run xp pro x-64 as HOST with vista ultimate 32 bit as
guest with total of 1gb of memory.
performance was acceptable.
of course it would been snappier with more memory, but it did work.

(e-mail address removed)

Thanks for the tip Mike. To be safe, I was definitely going to disconnect
my
XP drive before installing Vista on the other drive. One thing that I will
do first is to upgrade with the new video card in XP before I install
Vista
on the other drive as you describe.

Richard

Disconnect the drive that already has XP.. install Vista as if it was the
only OS/HDD.. then jumper the XP drive as slave.. voila, two parallel
installations..

Richard Eagle said:
Thanks for your reply Rick. Since I have now ordered the Vista Home
Premium
full retail version, I'm thinking I'll probably install it on the 100gb
drive and leave XP Pro where it is, on the 200gb drive. Would there be any
advantage to running Virtual PC 2007 over having Vista on its own bootable
drive since I can switch boot drives in the BIOS and won't be switching
them
that much anyway? From what I read here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/virtualpc/sysreq.mspx
...it looks like you need more memory to be running XP Pro while having
Vista running in Virtual PC 2007, plus they don't have Vista Home Premium
listed as a guest OS. Even if the Home Premium will run in Virtual PC
2007,
it would probably run slow with only 1gb of memory.

Yes, I agree that the extra gb of memory would be nice. XP Pro runs very
well with 1gb on this PC. I'll see how Vista runs with 1gb. Adding more
memory will be a simple upgrade if I decide to do that later.

I wasn't going to buy any more hardware for this old PC, but I ordered an
ATI 9600 PRO 256mb agp card since my ATI 9250 128mb agp won't run Aero in
Vista and the OEM card was only $55 with the promotional discount that I
received. Couldn't hardly pass that up knowing that not having Aero
working
would bother me...LOL.

Richard

"Rick Raisley" <heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net> wrote in message
Definitely go to Virtual PC 2007. Using it, you can install and run Vista
(any 32-bit version, I believe), using a full license, as others have
said.
In that way, you can test on Vista and continue VB6 development in XP. I
went the other way, as I was getting a new PC: New Vista, with testing on
XP
and others using VPC (as well as my old machine). I want to become more
familiar with Vista, and this forces me to do it. It hasn't been all
smooth
sailing, though, so keeping XP and running Vista on a virtual machine
should
be idea for you.

I'd definitely up the memory, though. 2 GB should do for now.

Rick Raisley
(e-mail address removed)
HeavyMetal Software Products
www.heavymetalpro.com

Premium to maybe

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

mikeyhsd

why not just turn off/disable the hard drive in the bios.

(e-mail address removed)