Vista Home Basic Upgrade


B

Bob

I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Basic. I have a New Vista Home
Premium DVD (not an upgrade copy). Can I upgrade from Home to Premium
without doing a New installation and losing all the drivers. When I tried to
install from the Premium DVD, I get the message Upgrade Disabled. If I try
the Vista Anytime Upgrade, it takes me to Microsoft's site and the only
option I see there is to buy an upgrade DVD.
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Ken Blake, MVP

I just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Basic. I have a New Vista Home
Premium DVD (not an upgrade copy).


Is your copy a retail one or an OEM one? If it's OEM it can not do
upgrades, only clean installations.
 
R

Robert Moir

Bob said:
My copy of Premium was purchased from the Microsoft Company Store.

In that case, I'm going for "Vista Basic is 32 bit, and your copy of premium
is 64 bit". If that is the case then sorry, you can't upgrade 32bit -> 64
bit, has to be a clean install.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bob

Both versions are 32-Bit.

Robert Moir said:
In that case, I'm going for "Vista Basic is 32 bit, and your copy of premium
is 64 bit". If that is the case then sorry, you can't upgrade 32bit -> 64
bit, has to be a clean install.
 
M

Mick Murphy

The OP says: "My copy of Premium was purchased from the Microsoft Company
Store."

Where does the HP Premiun Product Key come into it?
 
J

Jane C

joel406 said:
You pucharsed the full version of Home Premium.

You have Home Basic.

Your HP Product key is for the full version. You will not be able to
upgrade. Your key will not allow it.

You will have to do a clean install.



That is not correct. A full version is perfectly capable and able of
performing an inplace upgrade.
 
J

Jane C

Bob said:
I tried that. I get the message Upgrade Disabled.


Hello Bob,

Is your laptop at Service Pack 1 level? If your Home Premium disc is not at
the same Service Pack level, then it can't do an upgrade.
 
B

Bob

Jane:

I had thought about what you said about the Sevice Pack and agree you are
probably correct. The laptop was just purchased this week (Home Basic with
SP1) and the Vista Home Premium was bought 7 - 8 months ago and does not
include SP1. Any way around this?
 
Ad

Advertisements

K

Ken Blake, MVP

joel406 said:
You pucharsed the full version of Home Premium.

You have Home Basic.

Your HP Product key is for the full version. You will not be able to
upgrade. Your key will not allow it.

You will have to do a clean install.


Sorry, but that statement is *not* correct. Upgrades can be done by
either Upgrade versions or Full versions. Only OEM versions can not do
upgrades.
 
B

Bob

What Jane said about the Service Pack must have been the correct answer. I
installed Vista Ultimate with SP 1 and had no problems doing an upgrade.
Consider this incident CLOSED.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

Jane C

Bob said:
Jane:

I had thought about what you said about the Sevice Pack and agree you are
probably correct. The laptop was just purchased this week (Home Basic
with
SP1) and the Vista Home Premium was bought 7 - 8 months ago and does not
include SP1. Any way around this?


That all depends on whether the OEM in question imaged the laptop with an
SP1-integrated image, in which case you're stuck, or whether they manually
applied SP1 afterwards, which is highly unlikely.

You could borrow an SP1-integrated disc from someone and use that with your
key. Do you have a Technet or MSDN subscription? If so, there is
downloadable integrated media there.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top