Need some software

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I've solved the Google images search problem. Within Opera I was using the Google shortcut in the toolbar and after starting a search Google opened but it was a sort of stripped down version without the option to search for images.

When I type the Google address in my address panel and open Google normally, all is as it is in Windows.

As for burning, yes, I know I could burn one ISO image within k3b but I want to burn two at once and join them together. k3b won't do this so I thought I'd try and turn the ISO's into mpeg files and see if k3b would then burn two mpeg files joined together on the finished disk.

But I can't create mpegs from an ISO.

When I use Nero I simply drag the two original avi files into a Window then I'm taken through a sequence where I can choose and create a menu for the finished movie or not use a menu at all. If no menu is chosen any video files selected - whatever format - will run sequentially on the finished disk.

Once I've made my choices within Nero I click once and about 40 minutes later I have a completed DVD. I've made dozens with and without menus this way.

But I can't, so far, do that within Linux.

But, I will keep trying I suppose, and try some more software.

And whilst I'm commenting I'm not keen on Mozilla so far, I don't understand how it blocks spam, if it does indeed block spam, very confusing (to me, anyway).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
Audacity :p
Gnome Wave Cleaner

Kino
Kdenlive
Avidemux
PiTiVi

DeVeDe

k3b :p

Try these first – they should all be in Mint repos.

Lemme know if you need more suggestions.

Ok, update.

Kdenlive & Avidemux are not in the repository.

When I follow the links above to each program there is stuff there I don't understand and it all seems a little bewildering

I have now installed kino and am about to see what that can do.

I am going to try and uninstall k3b and reinstall it and see if I can then figure out how to burn an audio CD from mp3, WAV & FLAC files.

Experience now is telling me I'm about to give up. I've tried but this is just too frustrating.

I'm not a geek who gets off on messing about for hours just to get something to work and then feels good about it, free or not.

I just want something to work, out of the box or patched, both is ok. And I really don't mind paying money for something that works.

So far, within Linux, I'd guess only about 60% of what I consider important has worked. Which isn't good enough really, it's like working with a crippled machine.

Grieves me to say all that, I SO wanted stuff to work but there ya go.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, no video software I've tried so far recognises my Dazzle usb Video Capture Device, including KIno which I've just tried. This device works well within MS Windows.

I guess a video card with a capture video socket or some TV cards could handle the video signal in within Linux but my sound card line in socket is already being used to capture audio from my audio amplifier. This is why I bought the dazzle. Which doesn't seem to work with Linux.

So, I'd say this is now a definite, for my setup Linux won't capture video.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Removed k3b using the sudo apt-get purge k3b command and away it went, though I noticed it still left the link in the start menu.

Reinstalled it, it's just the same. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? I go to open, browse to a folder full of WAV files and it shows... nothing :confused:

I selected 'WAV' within preferences or somewhere and tried again - it still can't see the WAV files.

Clicked on 'Start Audio CD Project' - nada.

So k3b won't burn an audio CD but Brasero will :confused:

I also notice that whenever k3b is open the cursor shows the 'busy' status permanently. Methinks it's a bit rubbish, k3b.

Summary: I could have put up with no games but if common software won't even burn an audio CD; my video capture device isn't recognised and I can't burn a series of video files to DVD then I will revise my opinion and state that Linux, in my experience, still has a long way to go.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Um... which Dazzle (I'm sure this has come up, but...)

Avidemux and Kdenlive are both in Ubuntu's repositories (I don't have Mint installed atm).

If they are not in Mint's repos... Debian --> Ubuntu --> Mint. Packages created for Ubuntu cause no problems in Mint – provided that versions (e.g. Mint 8 <–> Ubuntu 9.10) and architecture (32 or 64 bit) match.

Case Avidemux: Downloadable packages can be found @GetDeb.net:
http://www.getdeb.net/updates/Ubuntu/9.10/?q=avidemux

Download. Install by double clicking. If the package needs dependencies, they bill be fetched and installed from Mint's repos. If the package is... um... just plain wrong for your Mint (cf. version/architecture), the package installer will tell you that the dependencies can not be met and you can fuggedabout installing that package.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Methinks it's a bit rubbish, k3b.
Rubbish. :D

Again, no Mint here, but... using Synaptic (or Mint's package manager), do a search with "k3b". Look for a package called something like "k3b6-extracodecs" [that's what the Ubuntu package is called.] Make sure it's installed.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I had no problems burning with k3b in Suse. ;)

:wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Extracodecs. Aha. Ok. Thanks.

Suse.

Funny that, I just d/l the latest Suse DVD iso with a thought to giving it a go, I always liked Suse in the past, even though it's not a Distro favoured by so-called Linux purists.

You see, I have no patience, just want things to work ;)

Ask a Question