Need Help with Windows User Accounts

1

1AlmondJoy

XP Home, SP2
From Control Panel, User Accounts, there are 4 accounts listed.:

Jane (Administrator)
Joe (Administrator)
Spot (limited)
Guest (off)

But if I go C drive, Documents & Settings, there are 6 user folders
(plus the "All Users" folder):

Jane
Joe
Spot
Guest
Administrator
Owner

n those folders, Jane, Joe, Spot, & Guest all have, in addition to
the Favorites, Desktop, etc folders, a "[UserName]'s Documents"
folder
that inturn contain the appropriately named subfolders for pictures,
music, and video.
In the Administrator folder, however, those subfolders are named
"Owner's Documents", "Owner's Pictures"... instead of
"Administrator's
Documents", "Administrator's pictures"...
In the Owner folder (of the 6 main folders above, not an Owner folder
inside the Administrator folder), there are no folders for Favorites,
Desktop, etc..The only thing it contains is a folder named "My
Documents" that contains nothing but an empty subfolder named "My
Pictures".

So my first question is, is this normal? It doesn't seem right that
the Administrator folder contains folders named "Owner" and the Owner
folder doesn't contain anything but empty folders named "My". I'm not
even sure why there is both an Owner and Administrator folder/user?

Second:
If I am logged in as Spot and open My Computer, "Shared Docs" and
"Spot's Doc's" are shown at the top under 'Files Stored on this
Computer". (I have my arrange-by folder option set to "show in
groups".) That seems right since Spot's a limited user. (Although, if
Spot opens C drive, he is able to open the All Users folder and the
Owner folder; access if denied if he tries to open Jane, Joe, Guest,
or Administrator.)

If I am logged in as Joe (an Admin account) and open My Computer,
"Shared Docs", "Joe's Doc's", and "Spot's Docs" are listed.

If I am logged in as Jane (an Admin account) and open My Computer,
"Shared Docs", "Joe's Doc's", and "Spot's Docs" are listed. Why
isn't "Jane's Docs" listed for Jane?

I can access Jane's documents from Joe or Jane, but have to go the
long way - My Computer - Docs & Settings - Jane - My Documents.
I would like "Jane's Docs" to display on My Computer for both Jane
and
Joe, the same way "Joe's Docs" and "Spot's Docs" do. (I checked
Properties, Sharing tab of Jane's Docs, and "Make Private" is not
checked.)

Any help striaghtening this all out will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it helps to know: There are no passwords on any of the
accounts and I bought the computer new (several years ago) so there's
no "left-overs" from what a previous owner may have created. If the
accounts are messed up, it's something I did.

Thanks,
AJ

C J.

XP Home, SP2
From Control Panel, User Accounts, there are 4 accounts listed.:

[...]

AJ...

The Folder arraigment you see is normal for your System via Drive
C:\Documents and Settings\
Jane << |
Joe << |
Spot <<| The 3 accounts you or someone must have created at some point
in time on your system.
Guest << Standard Guest account installed by Window xp during setup and
deployment.
Administrator <<NT/AUTHORITY's built in Administrator account which
installs at setup - and usually isn't listed in User Accounts by design.
But - if you were to boot into safe mode "Administrator" would be one of
the accounts you'd see listed on the welcome screen along with Jane and
Joe.
Owner << I've seen this folder on OEM PC Hardrives such as HP, Toshiba,
DELL (also a Default User account folder. it seems to vary from system
to system.) Mine seems to lack an Owner folder and I don't know why.

Also there could be some Windows hidden files in Docs and Settings too.

The User Accounts tool only lists Accounts that are created by you and
active, or disabled as in the case of Guest. Mine for example lists C J
<admin> CJ2 <Unknown account type+> ASP.Net and Guest (turned off.) (+ =
is my normal account, is member of power users group.)

In Documents and Settings (after changing folder options to view hidden
files ) Theres Administrator, C J , CJ2, All Users, Default User*, Network
Service*, and Local service * *=hidden from view.

So the file/ folder structures in my system accounts... conform somewhat to
what you've outlined about yours above. So you've done nothing wrong.

As for the rest of what you want to attempt to do... I'll leave that to
someone with a little more knowledge than I - to help you through the rest.

jomama

[...]

someone with a little more knowledge than I - to help you through the rest.- Hide quoted text -

Newsgroups: alt.comp.virus, alt.comp.anti-virus, alt.privacy.spyware,
alt.usenet.kooks
From: 4Q <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 17:53:16 -0700
Subject: Re: !BugShit Kook declares victory! Re: Cretins.
Reply | Reply to author | Forward | Print | Individual message | Show
original | Report this message | Find messages by this author

Dustin said:

*LMFAO* I go away on a short vacation
so the ****er declares victory! *HAHAHA*

I dare not go to sleep tonight only to
find he's declared victory again while I
was missing for 8hrs!

C'mon Dustbin do another kookie victory
dance like when you told the world you
had got the 4Q site removed!

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy.spyware/msg/43eb8313f0a38b8a

*hehe* remember the 404 troll where you
nearly victory danced yourself to death
with glee. *lol*

4Q

1

1AlmondJoy

CJ said:
So the file/ folder structures in my system accounts... conform somewhat to
what you've outlined about yours above. So you've done nothing wrong.

Thankyou CJ. I am relieved to know that the Administrator & Owner
arrangement is normal.

Now If someone can help me get "Jane's Documents" back in the My
Computer group of User docs, I'd really appreciate it:

I have my arrange-by folder option set to "show in groups".
When I open My Computer, the top group shown is "Files Stored on This
Computer".
That shows the Documents folder for various users.

If I am logged in as Spot (limited account)
"Shared Docs" and "Spot's Doc's" are shown.

If I am logged in as Joe (Admin account)
"Shared Docs", "Joe's Doc's", and "Spot's Docs" are shown.

If I am logged in as Jane (Admin account)
"Shared Docs", "Joe's Doc's", and "Spot's Docs" are shown.

Why isn't "Jane's Documents" shown for Jane (or for Joe)?
It used to be listed there (for both Jane and Joe) but I'm not sure
just when it disappeared.
I can access Jane's Documents from Joe or Jane, but have to go the
long way - My Computer - Docs & Settings - Jane - Documents.

I would like "Jane's Docs" to display on My Computer for both Jane
and Joe, the same way "Joe's Docs" and "Spot's Docs" do. (I checked
Properties, Sharing tab of Jane's Docs, and "Make Private" is not
checked.)

Thanks,

AJ

M.I.5¾

[...]

This is down to the file permissions. These can only be set up in Safe mode
(for XP Home, which I assume we are discussing here). However, I have known
sane men gnaw their own legs off while trying to set up the file permissions
to do what you want. Even if you set up (say) Spot's profile to be
unreadable by (say) Jane, they may still show up in her account but she is
unable to open them. Xp is supposed to set up a default behaviour for the
file permissions and in particular the 'Make Private' check box. In
practice, XP rarely configures itself the same way twice.

C J.

M.I.5¾ said:
This is down to the file permissions. These can only be set up in Safe
mode (for XP Home, which I assume we are discussing here). However, I
have known sane men gnaw their own legs off while trying to set up the
file permissions to do what you want.

Its off topic but...
After chewing on my own leg, during an Msconfig "Access Denied - in NT admin
account" remedy fest
on the folks HP over the weekend - I should be getting my new prosthesis
next Monday (grin)