I lost my main account with all my files and desktop!

D

DJW

I guess I had the original administrator account running all the time. I decided I should have another administrator account besides the guest one in case I needed to make changes and the original one was screwed up. I created a new account using the users control panel and let it also be administrator. I rebooted and it booted into that account. When I went to switch backto my original account it was not showing as an option. I can’t figure out how to get it back or even get back to the my documents folder to retrieve all my files.

HELP!!!!

D

David H. Lipman

I guess I had the original administrator account running all the time. I decided I
should
have another administrator account besides the guest one in case I needed to make
changes
and the original one was screwed up. I created a new account using the users control
panel
and let it also be administrator. I rebooted and it booted into that account. When I
went
to switch back to my original account it was not showing as an option. I can’t figure
out
how to get it back or even get back to the my documents folder to retrieve all my files.

HELP!!!!

What's listed under...
"C:\Documents and Settings\" ?

D

DJW

I guess I had the original administrator account running all the time. I decided I should have another administrator account besides the guest one in case I needed to make changes and the original one was screwed up. I created a new account using the users control panel and let it also be administrator. I rebooted and it booted into that account. When I went to switch back to my original account it was not showing as an option. I can’t figureout how to get it back or even get back to the my documents folder to retrieve all my files.

HELP!!!!

only the my pictures and my music folders nothing else!

D

DJW

I guess I had the original administrator account running all the time. I decided I should have another administrator account besides the guest one in case I needed to make changes and the original one was screwed up. I created a new account using the users control panel and let it also be administrator. I rebooted and it booted into that account. When I went to switch back to my original account it was not showing as an option. I can’t figureout how to get it back or even get back to the my documents folder to retrieve all my files.

HELP!!!!

I went to system restore and restored to about two weeks ago at the next point I had back other than today’s and all is back.
Thank you Microsoft gods!
And the two new accounts the one I made and labeled second admin and the other named DJW I made when I panicked and only had the one account are now gone.

Ok so what happened anyway!!!???

If the account I was using which was an administrator had never been named by me nor had I ever made another account up till now disappeared when I made a new account for the purpose of having two accounts. I did it because Ifelt I should have more than one account to control things if I had trouble. Why did my only and main administrator account disappear was it because I never named it when I first started using the computer? Why the BLANK BLANK was my original account gone after I made an account for possible the first time in years since I installed the OS????? Does anybody know why has this ever happened to anybody before? Was there something in what I did thatnot only made a new account but replaced my original account?

B

Ben Myers

I guess I had the original administrator account running all the time. I decided I should have another administrator account besides the guest one in case I needed to make changes and the original one was screwed up. I created a new account using the users control panel and let it also be administrator. I rebooted and it booted into that account. When I went to switch back to my original account it was not showing as an option. I can’t figure out how to get it back or even get back to the my documents folder to retrieve all my files.
HELP!!!!

I went to system restore and restored to about two weeks ago at the next point I had back other than today’s and all is back.
Thank you Microsoft gods!
And the two new accounts the one I made and labeled second admin and the other named DJW I made when I panicked and only had the one account are now gone.
If the account I was using which was an administrator had never been named by me nor had I ever made another account up till now disappeared when I made a new account for the purpose of having two accounts. I did it because I felt I should have more than one account to control things if I had trouble. Why did my only and main administrator account disappear was it because I never named it when I first started using the computer? Why the BLANK BLANK was my original account gone after I made an account for possible the first time in years since I installed the OS????? Does anybody know why has this ever happened to anybody before? Was there something in what I did that not only made a new account but replaced my original account?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281992

Ben

D

DJW

HELP!!!!

THANKS i DID FIND A LOT ABOUT BOTH XP PRO AND HOME IN REGARD TO THIS. AT FIRST i THOUGHT IT WAS A WAY MICROSOFT HIDES WAY FOR NOVICES TO NOT SCREW UP WINDOWS BUT FROM YOUR LINK THEY ACTUALLY CALL IT A PROBLEM LOL YOU LIVE ANDLEARN BEING XP IS THIS OLD AND I NEVER HEARD OF THIS "PROBLEM BEFORE" NOW IF i COULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO CLONE ALL THE FILES AND DESKTOP OVER TO A USER MADE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT ALL WOULD BE BACK ON TRACK.

T

Twayne

In
DJW said:
THANKS i DID FIND A LOT ABOUT BOTH XP PRO AND HOME IN
REGARD TO THIS. AT FIRST i THOUGHT IT WAS A WAY MICROSOFT
HIDES WAY FOR NOVICES TO NOT SCREW UP WINDOWS BUT FROM
YOUR LINK THEY ACTUALLY CALL IT A PROBLEM LOL YOU LIVE
AND LEARN BEING XP IS THIS OLD AND I NEVER HEARD OF THIS
"PROBLEM BEFORE" NOW IF i COULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO CLONE
ALL THE FILES AND DESKTOP OVER TO A USER MADE
ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT ALL WOULD BE BACK ON TRACK.

Yes, XP is old, but it's still a great OS in my opinion. Handy as Win 7 can
be, I still prefer XP Pro SP 3 by a long shot.
Personally I've never had your problem show up on any of my machines. But
then I never used "unnamed" accounts, whatever you meant by that. It's
probably what trashed things; it went invisible (no name to display) and
thus seemed not to be there. I'll bet you have "show file extensions"
turned off too, right? That's the default setting. And make sure you have
your OS keycode and all that for the day when you actually have to reinstall
the whole OS from scratch. Never had it happen on my XP machine, but it did
on my Win 7 machine - the disk went bad.

Now perhaps you'll consider backing up all your files to an external drive
or to DVDs.
You did the right thing by trying the System Restore Points first but
sooner or later you're going to have a crash that Restore Points won't fix:
THAT is when you'll really appreciated having a backup!

HTH,

Twayne`

L

Lemon

tp://support.microsoft.com/kb/281992

Ben

Your original account was the primary Administrators group account named
"Administrator". As soon as you created another Administrators group
account with another name, say "DJW", Windows hide the "Administrator"
account. It's by design.

The rule of thumb is not to actually use the "Administrator" account
except to set or fix things. It's not meant to be the account you use daily.

'Hope this helps.

Now, just for your information:

You can tell Windows to show the "Administrator" account on the Welcome
screen with a regedit:

[Always use caution when using regedit, changes are immediate and can
hose Windows]

Start regedit the registry editor:

Go to:

HKLM > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Winlogon

Create new key under Winlogon named "SpecialAccounts" (if none).
Then another key under SpecialAccounts name "UserList" (if none).
Create a DWORD value named "Administrator" (if none).
And set its value to 1.

The Administrator account will now show up on the Welcome screen and as
a user "User Accounts" found in the Control Panel.

To re-hide the Administrator account set the value to 0 (zero).

'Have a nice day,

Lemon

Ask a Question