Need help sharing files between XP pro and 98 SE

G

I just got a new laptop from work running win XP Pro. I bring it home and can do all the things I want to (internet, connect to work server, e-mail, etc.) except I can't find my personal PC on my home network. My IT guy says it should work, but it isn't. My set up is pretty basic. The DSL modem feeds into my Lynksys router, and that router goes to my personal pc and the new laptop. My personal PC is running win 98 SE. My previous laptop was also running win 98 SE and everything worked great. I do have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the XP machine, and the 98 machine shows the box checked for this option, but is grayed out

I'm really tired of e-mailing files across the room!

G

Jeff
I've got the exact same problem and have had it for a while now. I can connect to my two computers by sharing folders and mapping to the folders using UNC conventions (i.e. \\servername\sharename ) but it is really frustrating. Hopefully someone out there knows an answer

Mikie

H

Hans-Georg Michna

Jeff Z said:
I just got a new laptop from work running win XP Pro. I bring it home and can do all the things I want to (internet, connect to work server, e-mail, etc.) except I can't find my personal PC on my home network. My IT guy says it should work, but it isn't. My set up is pretty basic. The DSL modem feeds into my Lynksys router, and that router goes to my personal pc and the new laptop. My personal PC is running win 98 SE. My previous laptop was also running win 98 SE and everything worked great. I do have NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the XP machine, and the 98 machine shows the box checked for this option, but is grayed out.

I'm really tired of e-mailing files across the room!

Jeff,

please have a look at http://www.michna.com/kb/WxNetwork.htm.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question