Need DVD driver for GCC-4243N

Reaction score
Hi,

I had my laptop set up with my company IT person as Administrator. When I left the company, they deleted the old Administrator user profile and created a new one with me as Administrator. Many problems... all resolved but one.

My DVD-ROM does not work. When I put in a disk, it would spin for about 4 seconds, then stop... nothing. No error code, nothing.

I figured it must be a driver issue. I used Device Driver to Uninstall the driver for the DVD, then re-booted expecting windows to re-load the driver. No such luck. I have looked all over for a replacement driver... lots of "no region" drivers, but these are a mess... found drivers for Dell, Compaq, others, but not for my laptop (apparantly a very OEM specific driver)

I can't find the original driver, as follows: Toshiba M35X-S163 laptop, DVD-ROM is HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N

I tried Toshiba... can't find the driver I need... please help!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I googled this,

HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N

and came up with this ,

http://www.micocu.us/search.php?hl=en&q=gcc-4243n drivers

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HL...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

you might find something to help you there .

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Abarbarian, but I already Googled, Alta Vista'd, MSN Searched, Yahoo'd, etc. I have looked ar every result you sent and more.

It seems the problem is OEM specific drivers... I can use only the driver for Toshiba HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N... the drivers for Dell, HP, etc only make things worse. I also found "region free" driver, but apparantly that requires additional software patches as well and there are no instructions as to what the patches are or where to get them.

This is a frustrating, Catch 22 situation... I have the recovery CD with the driver, but no way to extract the file to my computer. Any ideas?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Short of purchasing an external drive - or borrowing one - looks like you're a bit stuck :(

Or maybe you could buy a memory stick and get a friend to transfer the CD data to that? Or take it to the library or an Internet Cafe to transfer data.

You could try for a firmware update for your drive, that may help and it's usually a self-extracting/update file.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DVD/CD drives do not have 'drivers' per-say ... the OS should take care of that, even Win95 ;)

Check the BIOS can 'see' the drive, set it to Auto-detect, if allowed. The CD/DVD-ROM drive should be listed as one of the IDE drives similar to that shown below. If not, the drive is not being recognized by the computer during BIOS hardware detection.

4y67l9_bios1.jpg

Try deleting all optical drives from Device Mangler, reboot.

See if the drive will boot to a known bootable CD if available. Recovery CDs, a real copy of XP and AntiVirus installation CDs are usually bootable.

:user:

Ask a Question