Natwest Fraud Team

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
So on Thursday morning around 5:30am I got a call from Natwest Fraud Team. It was an automated call to which the automated voice asked if I recognised various transactions. I recognised all of them so answered yes. The call was ended.
Around 7am I got another of these calls from Natwest and the same as last I had say yes or no to whether I recognised the transactions to which I said yes and the call was eneded.
Around 9am I got yet another automated call from Natwest asking if I recognised the transactions. Two of which I did, but the third I didn't at which point I was put through to the Natwest Fraud Team. After answering a million and one security questions I didn't know the answer to they asked me if I had made a purchase to Kaspersky.co.uk at 3:30am to which I answered most definately not as I was fast asleep. The nice young lady said thank you and informed me my bank account would be refunded £39.99 ( the price for Kaspersky for 3 PC's for a year )

The irony that somebody obtained my bank details fraudulently and was purchasing Kasperskey AV to protect their computers.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Glad to know NatWest were on the ball for you @EvanDavis. But what gall, and how ironic to steal your bank details to buy an AV for goodness sake! :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I just love it when they ask YOU a lot of questions for 'security' reasons ... err, who are you again?

I ask them for "the password" now. The response is, we don't have one. I then proceed to ask them security questions after informing them that I am recording the conversation for my Lawyer. No bushit about recording for 'training purposes'. This is usually a short conversation.

Then, I go around to my local branch, as I usually need to then 'unlock' my card. The branch knows the correct password. :)

Kaspersky will auto-renew your AV licence @ full price, especially if you missed the 'special offer' renewal email.

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hmmm...... If I get a call from "the bank" I tell them NOTHING. I then ring my bank USING A DIFFERENT PHONE, as fraudsters have ways of remaining on the line, tricking you into thinking you are speaking to the bank when it is actually them.

This has happened twice and on both occasions the calls were genuinely from the bank. I was praised for being extra cautious. :);)

Always better to be safe than sorry. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Heehee, I also demand any caller who asks me to prove my ID first proves to me who THEY are. The conversation doesn't usually go far.

I bank with Natwest amongst others and they recently stopped a purchase I tried to make from Steam, the game vendors. I had to text them to confirm I'd made my last three purchases. As for my Steam purchase I just used Paypal instead of my debit card.

Then I walked to my local branch ten minutes away and voiced protest over their treatment and they apologised and said they were just safeguarding my interests.

Hurrumph! :mad:

Ask a Question