Credit card alarm

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The phone rang, and I could see that it was yet another "withheld" number, so I let the answering machine take it. Expecting the line to go dead (as it usually does, when someone is trying to sell something or whatever) I was surprised to hear a message, telling me to contact my credit card's fraud department. The Scottish voice spoke rapidly and had a tendency to mumble, so that I needed to replay the message over about four times, before I could understand the number he was telling me to contact. He also said that credit card details should be to hand when calling back.

Now, with all the phishing scams that we all hear about, I wasn't about to just call that number and give out details willy-nilly. It was a number that either of us recognised, so I Googled first. I have to say that it was a nasty moment when someone on another forum was querying the same number, and it appeared to be genuine........ ooh-er!

Still feeling skeptical, I decided to dial the CS number which appears on the back of my card and take it from there. After all the usual security questions, they confirmed that the fraud department needed to have an urgent word..............eek!

The guy said he just needed to query a couple of purchases with me to check they were genuine... they were. But interestingly, the one which had sparked the call in the first place, was a purchase I had made just five minutes before they called! It was for a very small sum, spent in the in-game Guild Wars shop! It had instantly been flagged-up as "suspicious" (not due to any impropriety by GW, I hasten to add, but it would seem that gaming websites in general generate a lot of fraudulent card usage.)

So, although it almost gave me a heart attack, it's good to know that a potential problem would have been picked-up so quickly.
:thumb: :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My credit card hasn't got an alarm, in fact it doesn't make any noises at all :(

I've had that several times, the phone check, but usually only when making sizeable purchases and not for several years now interestingly enough.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Both my missus and I have had queries from credit card companies in the past. It sure scared the **** out of me at first but on realising that it was just the card company fraud department doing its job I found it very reassuring. :)

It happened once when we were on holiday in South Africa and, as we use cards for almost everything, we felt that we would be in a serious state. We had bought something a couple of hours earlier and then found that we could not use the card again. A quick call to the card company sorted everything out. They said that a purchase in South Africa had alerted them even though we had let them know we were going there before we left.

A nuisance at the time but good to know they were on the ball. :thumb:

Reaction score
Never owned or intend to own a credit card..

I have switch Maestro which is accepted almost everywhere really for online purchase and shops.

My moto has been "if you aint got it then dont spend it" but i do understand the use for one, it's just i've never ever needed or want one to evert start with

Good though within 5 or 9 mins they were on phone to you, wow! Makes a change

My grnadfather had his card stolen and they were drawing thusands of pounds out everyweek. He didnt get one phonecall to ask why and he was 80.

It finished him off :(

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Trips, that is so sad about your poor Granddad :(

Actually, I share your view about not getting into debt. I never wanted a credit card either, but found that certain companies would not accept other methods of payment (such as an ISP we were with at the time.) They also provide a bit of extra protection on some purchases. But, we always repay the total amount spent, each month. Like you, we live within our means. So for us, the card is purely a "convenience.
"

Oh-oh.... now Flopps is going to tell me that his card cannot be flushed, or something!! :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The thing about credit cards is that you don't HAVE to go into debt.

We have two separate cards and we NEVER go into debt, we simply pay off the balance every month.

I know, some people can't resist the pressure but that is their fault and not that of the credit card. :)

Ask a Question