My PC has died, please help.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post so be gentle with me.

My pc has died. First off is would only fire up randomly, and then only when I disconnected the power lead for a few seconds. It gradually progressed to randomly rebooting itself when I tried to use the cd-rw or dvd. I was advised to try replacing the bios battery, which I did to no effect and then checking that all connection were tight. I removed the ram chip and replaced (I was a wearing anti-static band) and since then absolutely nothing. When I power up, all the fans run will run, and the LED on the MoBo lights, but the best I get is a series of continuous long beeps before the machine switches off or nothing at all.

It’s a fairly old machine (4 years) but it’s been pretty reliable up till now and for the use it gets it I was very happy with it’s performance.

Any ideas where to go from here? I’ve built a pc before from spare parts which is working quite well to date, but never had to fault find so I need some help.

Machine spec.

Mesh Matrix 2.4Ghz

Windows XP Home (OEM version) SP2 with all latest updates

AMD Athlon XP processor in socket A

256Mb PC2100 DDR ram

Asus A7N266-VM mobo

Radeon 9100 64Mb video card

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
How many beeps do you get before the machine switches off..

I gotta shoot out now but will be back later, i'm sure someone else on here will answer questions for you....:nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm not usually gentle with first time posters ... but I'll give it a go ... welcome to the Forums. :D

Depending on the BIOS used will result in getting different Beep Codes ... at a rough guess yours is telling you the memory has gone bad. As you have built a system in the past, I would suggest you re-seat the Ram first and or swap it out for some you know is working.

However, my first thought was power supply ... while you are getting some power, it doesn't mean that the PS is in tip-top shape, it may be failing, it is getting old like me, it may not be supplying enough juice ... try a known good PSU in its place.

HTH ... :user:

Reaction score
feckit said:
:eek:
How old is it?
Is it still under the 'mesh warranty'?

As luck would have it, it's run out earlier this year. I've already contacted mesh and they conform this.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Pack it in feckit ... I don't want another Mesh *%$£ thread here ... thank you. ;)

Lets deal with the 'problem' at hand. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
How many beeps do you get before the machine switches off..

I gotta shoot out now but will be back later, i'm sure someone else on here will answer questions for you....
nod.gif

At a guess 12 - 15, certainly not less.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'm not usually gentle with first time posters ... but I'll give it a go ... welcome to the Forums. :D

Depending on the BIOS used will result in getting different Beep Codes ... at a rough guess yours is telling you the memory has gone bad. As you have built a system in the past, I would suggest you re-seat the Ram first and or swap it out for some you know is working.

However, my first thought was power supply ... while you are getting some power, it doesn't mean that the PS is in tip-top shape, it may be failing, it is getting old like me, it may not be supplying enough juice ... try a known good PSU in its place.

HTH ...
user.gif

Are there any guides available on testing a PSU. I like to think i'm pretty handy with a multi meter

muckshifter

Reaction score
candleman said:
Are there any guides available on testing a PSU. I like to think i'm pretty handy with a multi meter
Pointless exercise, just beg / borrow / buy a PSU and try it. 10min job.

Did you re-seat the Ram ?

Reaction score
Not yet,

I'm posting here in between flying my CAD station and answering the phone so I'll try when i get home.

I am clocking off for the night now, i will catch up with you all on the morrow.

Thanks for your help & suggestions so far.

Candleman

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Pack it in feckit ... I don't want another Mesh *%$£ thread here ... thank you. ;)

Lets deal with the 'problem' at hand. :thumb:

user.gif
As i was told many moons ago, i leave the mesh *%$£ in the mesh thread!
I shall let you all sort this out...........................i'm off:wave:

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm back early at work to post my findings.

I have reseated all the cards, checked all connections and made sure that all the jumpers are in pace on the MoBo.

Still nothing, blank screen and loads of long beeps, only now the unit doesn't switch off by itself.

I've also ordered some new RAM and hope to borrow a PCU to test early next week.

Candleman

muckshifter

Reaction score
PC diagnostics is comparatively easy, providing you have the 'bits' to hand ... you merely swap out the suspected faulty hardware for known good working alternatives.

Not much else you can do. :thumb:

Reaction score
Hi All,

O.K. new ram arrived and promptly fitted. Still the same repetitive beeps when I switch on.

I followed the troubleshooting guide on the Asus website, and removed/replaced all peripherals not needed to run the PC (modem card etc) to see if one of them had gone bad and was causing a conflict but still the same result.

I guess this means I should be looking for a new MoBo.

Anyone got ant suggestions for a replacement?
It’s a 4 year old Asus A7N266-VM. I don’t need massive amounts of power but something reasonable, and preferably one where I can use the same socket A AMD processor I’ve got fitted.

Ask a Question