My new camera!

Reaction score
is a little bit of camera shake perhaps,. could try a tripod or a little fill flash or reflector to push some light back into subject,. as a quick test shot shows 800 iso looks pretty usable :)

Sil

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sil,

Thanks for your feedback, I will agree that the image has a lot of room for improvement so will redo it with some changes and see what I can get out of the D70s and 50mm combo.

By the way, I have been doing a bit of reading and found that many try to enhance the image from the D70s by increading the Saturation, Tone composition and Sharpness. They claim that the D70s is more on the flat side of things than giving a vibrant image. Since I just started using it I cannot really say for sure and need time to really find it out on my own, besides, it is a personal preference thing. How is your experience with the image quality from D70s?

Reaction score
the first and only thing which matters is personal preference, there is no 'correct tone' or 'correct saturation' :)

personally I tend to up the contrast and reduce the brightness and if resizing downwards tend to do a quick sharpen but that's about it - a lot of 'hardcore' will tweak the curves / levels and all sorts of things,. note I don't think this is d70s / d70 specific - it's just everyone does it (well a lot of ppl tweak images) and therefore ppl are used to seeing tweaked images (even though it is less faithful to the real world capture)

I would generally take a lot of this 'review' with a pinch of salt but the sRGB III and other settings are worth a play with http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm -

finally, the biggest difference I believe is to do with settings,. you can make a d50 and d70s image look nearly the same from camera (is my thoery - not tried it) the difference is the default settings on the d50 are different to the defaults on the d70(s) - a lot of reviews tend to talk abt jpegs but don't change any settings to see what else it can do :)

Sil

PS, I'd have to look to check - but on the d70 I tended to use sRGB and colour setting III - the rest I tended to leave where they were (auto sharpness / auto tone etc)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sil,

You are absolutely correct when you say tweaked pictures are not true representations. I also have the same pholosophy. I still need time however, before I start to feel comfortable with the new camera, its been ages that I was using the F801s and old habits as they say are hard to break ;) Anyway, I am looking forward to do some sessions over the weekend and hoping this time I come up with something worthy to post here.

Reaction score
have fun is the main thing,. if later you decide that images look better tweaked a little you can always go back to them an play :)

Sil

Ask a Question