I gotta new camera

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It’s a Canon G9. It’s a compact that rests on that line between compacts and DSLR’s and in my opinion fills the gap pretty good.

Here’s a link to Steve’s Digicams review: From ‘The Best Cameras’ section

Since 2002 I’ve had six compact digital cameras and I still think the first one I owned, a Canon 3.2 mp A40 Powershot, was the best, the Canon A60 a close second.

This made me think that lens quality is actually more important than the megapixel count.

I’ve sold my Nikon Coolpix S500 and I’m currently trying to sell my Nikon DSLR D40X outfit. James brought me over the Nikon D40X from the States in June of last year. It’s a damn fine camera but I figured I’m not a professional and it is rather bulky to carry around.

The Nikon S500 Coolpix, my last compact, was a great size but it’s pictures were not the same quality as the D40X, obviously.

My new camera, The Canon G9, almost manages to cope with the good points of both of those cameras. It has RAW image capability, which is rare in a compact.

Actually, it’s not all that compact, it’s not a pocket camera, but it is small compared to a DSLR.

It’s made of metal, has auto mode and can be fully manual. It has an ISO select mode knob on top of the body, which is great.

I haven’t used this camera a great deal yet, only got it on Thursday, and all the pix posted here were taken on auto. The greater majority were taken from my 5th floor patio/balcony, the last two were taken outside the Cutty Sark pub this evening.

They’re not all great, far from it, but I think the quality of the camera is apparent, 12.1 megapixel and 6 x real zoom.

I have weeks ahead studying this thing, hopefully it will be an interesting ride as I discover stuff.

It also takes movies. One hour of high quality video can be taken on this Sandisk Ultra III 4Gb memory card. Maybe I’ll get in one last Flops’ Travels before taking my Mercedes to it’s funeral.

Anyhow, here’s the first pix I took with it (all pix reduced from 4000 pixels wide to 800 pixels wide):

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Nice pics Flopps, How far aways the train station??

Edit: If it doesn't annoy too many people can you post one in its original size please? As big as the camera can handle.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Nice pics Flopps, How far aways the train station??

Edit: If it doesn't annoy too many people can you post one in its original size please? As big as the camera can handle.

Ok, but I'll start a seperate thread for that, 4000 pixels wide is big.

I'll do it tomorrow, eyelids getting heavy here ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Wow Flopps, those pix are super, they're so sharp and clear, really impressive:nod: You demonstrated the zoom feature well with the shots of the church tower (pix 1 an 2) I thought. The sunset pix were amazing too - did you have to adjust anything to shoot straight into the sun like that?

Looking forward to seeing the 4000 version too :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I just had a look and the train station is about 250 metres away, at a guess.

feckit said:
Are the stones aligned for a reason?

Of course they are, it's a cosmic thing, man, the formation points to the Serpius, a mythic Hero figure from Norse folklore.

When the stones are aligned just so, the Moon enters a certain phase and Charlton Athletic are playing at home, if I stand naked under the sky at midnight and chant a certain verse, great powers are bestowed upon me, such as the ability to drink eleven pints of Guinness and still stand up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The stones were mostly collected from beaches at Swanage and Lyme Regis during family holidays years ago. Yes I know that's a bit naughty but I'm a naughty boy.

When I lost my house and the back garden they resided in I stored them in my lockup in the hope that one day in the future I'd have somewhere to display them. Well, it's not quite a garden but it will do. I tried to make them look interesting, not sure if I've succeeded, perhaps I should put them in a pile then blindfold myself and put them back again, that might be interesting.

The other thing from my garden I stored was a couple of wooden garden chairs with a little shelf in between them, they're now on my balcony/patio as well. That made me feel good :)

Reaction score
Your reply made me laugh!
nod.gif

Must get a new camera sometime, i'm currently taking pics with my Nokia Mobile's 2MP camera!:blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Fab pics . Great cameras Cannons. I love my first generation Powershot S1.

An I thought the stones were a Zen garden. :D

Reaction score
nice pictures mate I see you still got that lovely car. You should call yourself Mr Camera Man.

So who is the geezer at the bottom picture is that you?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
nice pictures mate I see you still got that lovely car. You should call yourself Mr Camera Man.

I'm afraid that lovely car is history, it would cost £2K5 to keep it going, it's 24 years old, spares are becoming harder to find and it only does 15 mpg.

Tonight I bought me a Peugot 406 estate, boring, but hopefully economical.

I've had the Merc Five years on Friday, I have thoroughly enjoyed it but it's been expensive to run and maintain. It will shortly go to the great knacker's yard in the sky :(

psd99 said:
So who is the geezer at the bottom picture is that you?

I wished. Nope, that's Justin, he's at least 15 years younger than me and it shows, oh my, how it shows :lol:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Waynos_face
If it doesn't annoy too many people can you post one in its original size please? As big as the camera can handle.

I printed 1 with my D50 and it filled my kitchen table...which is 6x3 foot and although the printer is mono the quality was awesome ...

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm afraid that lovely car is history, it would cost £2K5 to keep it going, it's 24 years old, spares are becoming harder to find and it only does 15 mpg.

oh my that car is older than me! So sorry to hear of its demise.

Flopps said:
Tonight I bought me a Peugot 406 estate, boring, but hopefully economical.
:lol:

Sorry to hear this. The only thing Peugot are good for are adverts with hot women in them.
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Which camera

i have a Canon A620 and it has been GREAT, but i'm tempted to move up from a 7.1 megapixel to a 12.1

I've looked at the A650 Is and the G9 - what made you decide on the G9?
Test

Test

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dramaqueen said:
i have a Canon A620 and it has been GREAT, but i'm tempted to move up from a 7.1 megapixel to a 12.1

I've looked at the A650 Is and the G9 - what made you decide on the G9

This review helped sway me. The camera is listed as one of three 'best buys' in the Prosumer category at that site.

But mostly:

12.1 megapixel
Takes RAW images
Fully manual options.
Can take wide angle & telephoto lenses.
Well built
Retro look.
Good reviews
Has viewfinder as well as screen display
And most of all it's a good compromise between a compact and a big DSLR.

It's not that compact for a compact actually but still smaller than my Nikon D40X.

I bought the Nikon D40X in June 2007, a friend bought it in the USA for me and saved me £200.00 at the time. With all the accessories and another lens it cost me around £650. At this moment in time you can buy all the same parts in the UK for £710.00.

I found I rarely used it as it was so big and involved lugging a full shoulder case around with me. It takes excellent pictures and is a nice camera but I didn't use it to it's full potential. So it's up for sale here at £500.00 and it's not selling.

In fact, having surveyed the market, I'll be lucky to get £350.00 for it.

So I may keep it, dunno yet.

Anyway, sorry, off topic there, the G9 is a fine piece of kit :thumb:

There's a G10 out now, it has a higher megapixel count and costs a bit more.

Reaction score
There's quite a price difference and going form the specs the G9 has

AF Mode - single contiuous
Focus bracketing (whatever that is)
AEB (whatever that is) 1/3 - 2 EV in 1/3 stop increments
Settings - flash and custom 1 & 2
Color matrix (whatever that is)
Dioptre correction (whatever that is)
The monitor has more dots
Manual power adjustment
f3f0f0.gif
3 levels with internal flash (19 levels with external EX Speedlites¹)

Flash seems to be much better

the list goes on, there is a bit of difference, but would i use all of that - i think there's around £200 difference in price. I take my camera everywhere, so do use it, but basically just to snap shots of whatever i like

Also, i pasted some pics into my previous message - can you see these - i can't>

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The G10 is £200.00 more? :eek:

Then discard that as a choice as imo the G9 has everything you want and need in a compact camera.

Except perhaps it is a little larger than the smaller compacts. But on the other hand not a great deal bigger than a Canon A80.

And no, without doing some research, I don't know what most of those extra functions are either.

Your pictures aren't showing for me.

Ask a Question