my attachments to others end up being converted into winmail.dat

People using hotmail, yahoo or gmail end up getting my attachments as
winmail.dat files.... why can they not open them? Other users who are using
Outlook or Eudora are just fine.
Is there something I can do on my end to fix the problem?

Patricia [Outlook MVP]

Don't send in Rich Text format. Use Plain Text or HTML. You can change your
email format by going to Tools, Options, Mail Format.

--
Patricia DiGiacomo
Outlook MVP

http://blogs.officezealot.com/cardoza
http://www.cardozasolutions.com

Roady [MVP]

Change your message format from Rich Text to HTML or Plain Text

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
www.howto-outlook.com

Tips of the month:
-FREE tool; QuickMail. Create new Outlook items anywhere from within Windows
-Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data

-----
"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message People using hotmail, yahoo or gmail end up getting my attachments as
winmail.dat files.... why can they not open them? Other users who are using
Outlook or Eudora are just fine.
Is there something I can do on my end to fix the problem?

Brian Tillman

People using hotmail, yahoo or gmail end up getting my attachments as
winmail.dat files.... why can they not open them? Other users who
are using Outlook or Eudora are just fine.
Is there something I can do on my end to fix the problem?

There is a fix. Don't send Rich Text format messages. Only Outlook and
Eudora users can read them. Instead, use Plain Text or HTML.

This does not work either. When I send mail in HTML or Plain Text attachments
still come through as .dat files. Does this have somehting to do with sending
photos?

neo [mvp outlook]

Are you using Word as your email editor? If you are, try turning that
feature off via tools > options > mail format.

Another thing that can cause a message to converted to Rich Text is where
the contact record of the person you are sending to has been marked to
always receive rich text. Easiest way to see this setting is to open the
contact record of the person and then double click on the email address.

I think this might have helped resolve the problem. The contact of record was
set to always receive e-mails in Rich Text format. I have changed that to
Plain Text.

Thanks very much.