Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Recipien


R

Robert

When I send attachments using HTML mail format such as pdf, doc, xls from
Outlook 2007 to iphone recipients they only receive winmail.dat file. If I
use Plain Text to send attachments they are received normally by the iPhone
recipients. I am using MS Office 2007 Outlook and Windows Vista.

Everything I have read about this issue indicates not to use RTF and HTML or
Plain Text are recommended. It appears for some reason I can only use Plain
Text.

If I send attachments from my web mail client they are received by all.

I would prefer to use HTML for all recipients from Outlook.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robert

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was that
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The problem
is not the body/text of the email...it's the attachments show up as
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.
 
V

VanguardLH

Robert said:
I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was that
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The problem
is not the body/text of the email...it's the attachments show up as
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.

I don't use OL2007 (still back on OL2002). According to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

This type of formatting [RTF] is used with the Microsoft Outlook Rich
Text format and when you use Microsoft Word as your e-mail editor.

Microsoft decided to force OL2007 to use Word. Even if OL2007 is
installed alone, it includes a stub of Word 2007 to use as its e-mail
compose editor. You're stuck using Word for composing e-mail in OL2007.

In OL2002, under Tools -> Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format

is an option to force e-mails sent outside your network (i.e., to
Internet recipients) to convert from RTF to HTML. Is that selected?
 
R

Rania Alomar

I have exactly the same problem.
I have figured out that it is specifically my machine sending HTML files to Mac users. so it's on my end and not on the receiving end where the problem lies. Have you found any solutions yet?



Robert wrote:

Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Reci
07-Oct-09

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was that
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The problem
is not the body/text of the email...it's the attachments show up as
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML
--
Rober

:

Previous Posts In This Thread:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
XCeed Streaming Compression Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-769ec7085cf2/xceed-streaming-compressi.aspx
 
D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

When attachments arrive as winmail.dat files it means the sender is sending
the message using RTF formatting - this can either be because the message
format is RTF or because the email address is set to always use RTF format.
After addressing the message, double click on the address and check the
format. (if a contact form opens, double click the address in the contact
form).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

in message
news:[email protected]
 
S

ShankarNathan

As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting my
attachments as winmail.dat.

The following link was useful in resolving the issue. Thanks.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm
---

Diane Poremsky said:
When attachments arrive as winmail.dat files it means the sender is sending
the message using RTF formatting - this can either be because the message
format is RTF or because the email address is set to always use RTF format.
After addressing the message, double click on the address and check the
format. (if a contact form opens, double click the address in the contact
form).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

in message
I have exactly the same problem.
I have figured out that it is specifically my machine sending HTML files
to Mac users. so it's on my end and not on the receiving end where the
problem lies. Have you found any solutions yet?



Robert wrote:

Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Reci
07-Oct-09

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was
that
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The
problem
is not the body/text of the email...it's the attachments show up as
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.
--
Robert


:

Previous Posts In This Thread:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
XCeed Streaming Compression Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-769ec7085cf2/xceed-streaming-compressi.aspx

.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Robert

I believe I have solved the winmail.dat file problem on iPhones.

I have discovered as predicted by Microsoft that when Outlook Mail Format is
set to compose in HTML the attachments do arrive on other iPhones in the
proper format and can be opened and viewed. However I was still having a
problem with specific people/email addresses and specifically my own email
address. Even though I had Outlook Mail Format set to compose in HTML, some
email address would still receive a winmail.dat file.

What I discovered was that some individual email addresses in my contacts
had the Internet Format set to Send in Rich Text Format instead of Let
Outlook Decide. Not sure how that got set that way since that is not the
default. The real problem was that I have two entries in my contacts for the
same email address for myself. One for my standard email address and the
other undisclosed-recipients which is associated with the same email address.
One was set properly and the other was not.
At any rate problem is solved.

--
Bob


ShankarNathan said:
As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting my
attachments as winmail.dat.

The following link was useful in resolving the issue. Thanks.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm
---

Diane Poremsky said:
When attachments arrive as winmail.dat files it means the sender is sending
the message using RTF formatting - this can either be because the message
format is RTF or because the email address is set to always use RTF format.
After addressing the message, double click on the address and check the
format. (if a contact form opens, double click the address in the contact
form).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=22205

in message
I have exactly the same problem.
I have figured out that it is specifically my machine sending HTML files
to Mac users. so it's on my end and not on the receiving end where the
problem lies. Have you found any solutions yet?



Robert wrote:

Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Reci
07-Oct-09

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was
that
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The
problem
is not the body/text of the email...it's the attachments show up as
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.
--
Robert


:

Previous Posts In This Thread:

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
XCeed Streaming Compression Library
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-769ec7085cf2/xceed-streaming-compressi.aspx

.
 
B

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

What I discovered was that some individual email addresses in my contacts
had the Internet Format set to Send in Rich Text Format instead of Let
Outlook Decide.

The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been mentioned
a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups.
Not sure how that got set that way since that is not the default.

Importing contacts is a leading cause of it.
 
W

Warren Meek

Brian is right! Importing contacts caused my Outlook 2002 to send winmail.dat files instead of .doc and .pdf to certain mail recipients. Before you look anywhere else or do anything else, Check your email addressee and you will see Outlook is sending in Rich Text Format. Change this to Let Outlook decide. Fixed!



Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
10-Nov-09

The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been mentione
a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups

Importing contacts is a leading cause of it
-
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Recipien
When I send attachments using HTML mail format such as pdf, doc, xls fro
Outlook 2007 to iphone recipients they only receive winmail.dat file. If
use Plain Text to send attachments they are received normally by the iPhon
recipients. I am using MS Office 2007 Outlook and Windows Vista

Everything I have read about this issue indicates not to use RTF and HTML o
Plain Text are recommended. It appears for some reason I can only use Plai
Text

If I send attachments from my web mail client they are received by all

I would prefer to use HTML for all recipients from Outlook
-
Bob

Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Recipien
Robert wrote

You sure that you are composing in HTML format and not RTF? Recipient
do not get winmail.dat attachments unless RTF was used.

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML.
I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was tha
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The proble
is not the body/text of the email...it is the attachments show up a
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML
-
Rober

:

HTML files to Mac users - attachments come in as winmail.dat
I have exactly the same problem
I have figured out that it is specifically my machine sending HTML files to Mac users. so it is on my end and not on the receiving end where the problem lies. Have you found any solutions yet


Robert wrote

Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Rec
07-Oct-0

I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way
discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was tha
I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The proble
is not the body/text of the email...it is the attachments show up a
winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML
-
Rober


Previous Posts In This Thread

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choic
XCeed Streaming Compression Librar
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-769ec7085cf2/xceed-streaming-compressi.aspx

As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting
As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting m
attachments as winmail.dat

The following link was useful in resolving the issue. Thanks

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.ht
--

:

I believe I have solved the winmail.dat file problem on iPhones.
I believe I have solved the winmail.dat file problem on iPhones

I have discovered as predicted by Microsoft that when Outlook Mail Format i
set to compose in HTML the attachments do arrive on other iPhones in th
proper format and can be opened and viewed. However I was still having
problem with specific people/email addresses and specifically my own emai
address. Even though I had Outlook Mail Format set to compose in HTML, some
email address would still receive a winmail.dat file.

What I discovered was that some individual email addresses in my contacts
had the Internet Format set to Send in Rich Text Format instead of Let
Outlook Decide. Not sure how that got set that way since that is not the
default. The real problem was that I have two entries in my contacts for the
same email address for myself. One for my standard email address and the
other undisclosed-recipients which is associated with the same email address.
One was set properly and the other was not.
At any rate problem is solved.

--
Bob


:

The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been mentioned
a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups.


Importing contacts is a leading cause of it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WPF Datagrid as ComboBox Dropdown Part 2
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...96-e24127040bbf/wpf-datagrid-as-combobox.aspx
 
T

Tom Willett

Eggheader Hooplehead alert.

<Warren Meek> wrote in message : Brian is right! Importing contacts caused my Outlook 2002 to send
winmail.dat files instead of .doc and .pdf to certain mail recipients.
Before you look anywhere else or do anything else, Check your email
addressee and you will see Outlook is sending in Rich Text Format. Change
this to Let Outlook decide. Fixed!
:
:
:
: Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
:
: The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
: 10-Nov-09
:
: The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
mentioned
: a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups.
:
:
: Importing contacts is a leading cause of it.
: --
: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
:
: Previous Posts In This Thread:
:
: On Monday, October 05, 2009 7:27 PM
: Robert wrote:
:
: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Recipien
: When I send attachments using HTML mail format such as pdf, doc, xls from
: Outlook 2007 to iphone recipients they only receive winmail.dat file. If
I
: use Plain Text to send attachments they are received normally by the
iPhone
: recipients. I am using MS Office 2007 Outlook and Windows Vista.
:
: Everything I have read about this issue indicates not to use RTF and HTML
or
: Plain Text are recommended. It appears for some reason I can only use
Plain
: Text.
:
: If I send attachments from my web mail client they are received by all.
:
: I would prefer to use HTML for all recipients from Outlook.
: --
: Bob
:
: On Tuesday, October 06, 2009 1:45 AM
: VanguardLH wrote:
:
: Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Recipien
: Robert wrote:
:
:
: You sure that you are composing in HTML format and not RTF? Recipients
: do not get winmail.dat attachments unless RTF was used.
:
: On Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:28 PM
: Robert wrote:
:
: I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML.
: I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
: discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was
that
: I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The
problem
: is not the body/text of the email...it is the attachments show up as
: winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.
: --
: Robert
:
:
: "VanguardLH" wrote:
:
: On Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:34 PM
: Rania Alomar wrote:
:
: HTML files to Mac users - attachments come in as winmail.dat
: I have exactly the same problem.
: I have figured out that it is specifically my machine sending HTML files
to Mac users. so it is on my end and not on the receiving end where the
problem lies. Have you found any solutions yet?
:
:
:
: Robert wrote:
:
: Re: Using HTML, attachments show up as winmail.dat for iPhone Reci
: 07-Oct-09
:
: I am as sure as I can possibly be that I am composing HTML. The way I
: discoverd that sending attachments in Plain Text mail format worked was
that
: I made the global change from HTML to Plain text just to test. The
problem
: is not the body/text of the email...it is the attachments show up as
: winmail.dat when composing the email in HTML.
: --
: Robert
:
:
: "VanguardLH" wrote:
:
: Previous Posts In This Thread:
:
: EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
: XCeed Streaming Compression Library
:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...f-769ec7085cf2/xceed-streaming-compressi.aspx
:
: On Friday, November 06, 2009 10:51 AM
: ShankarNathan wrote:
:
: As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting
: As a sender from Outlook 2007, some of my recipients were getting my
: attachments as winmail.dat.
:
: The following link was useful in resolving the issue. Thanks.
:
: http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et121705.htm
: ---
:
: "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
:
: On Monday, November 09, 2009 2:54 PM
: Robert wrote:
:
: I believe I have solved the winmail.dat file problem on iPhones.
: I believe I have solved the winmail.dat file problem on iPhones.
:
: I have discovered as predicted by Microsoft that when Outlook Mail Format
is
: set to compose in HTML the attachments do arrive on other iPhones in the
: proper format and can be opened and viewed. However I was still having a
: problem with specific people/email addresses and specifically my own email
: address. Even though I had Outlook Mail Format set to compose in HTML,
some
: email address would still receive a winmail.dat file.
:
: What I discovered was that some individual email addresses in my contacts
: had the Internet Format set to Send in Rich Text Format instead of Let
: Outlook Decide. Not sure how that got set that way since that is not the
: default. The real problem was that I have two entries in my contacts for
the
: same email address for myself. One for my standard email address and the
: other undisclosed-recipients which is associated with the same email
address.
: One was set properly and the other was not.
: At any rate problem is solved.
:
: --
: Bob
:
:
: "ShankarNathan" wrote:
:
: On Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:26 AM
: Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
:
: The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
: The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been
mentioned
: a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups.
:
:
: Importing contacts is a leading cause of it.
: --
: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
:
:
: Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
: WPF Datagrid as ComboBox Dropdown Part 2
:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...96-e24127040bbf/wpf-datagrid-as-combobox.aspx
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John C

Hi Bob,

Are you aware of a new app released on the Apple store which is capable of opening any winmail.dat attachments ??

This app is a very simple and useful app, it's called "Winmail File Viewer" and it costs just $0.99 !

I had the same problem as yours and once I downloaded this app, my 'winmail.dat' problems have gone! ;)

Here's the link to the app: http://itunes.apple.com/app/winmail-file-viewer/id379500151?mt=8


When I send attachments using HTML mail format such as pdf, doc, xls from
Outlook 2007 to iphone recipients they only receive winmail.dat file. If I
use Plain Text to send attachments they are received normally by the iPhone
recipients. I am using MS Office 2007 Outlook and Windows Vista.

Everything I have read about this issue indicates not to use RTF and HTML or
Plain Text are recommended. It appears for some reason I can only use Plain
Text.

If I send attachments from my web mail client they are received by all.

I would prefer to use HTML for all recipients from Outlook.
--
Bob
You sure that you are composing in HTML format and not RTF? Recipients
do not get winmail.dat attachments unless RTF was used.
On Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:26 AM Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
The fact that each individual contact can have this setting has been mentioned
a huge number of times in this and the .outlook.contacts newsgroups.


Importing contacts is a leading cause of it.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top