Multi-Processor Device Driver

C. King

I have a dual processor Xeon system. My company shot a
Win XP image on the HDD as the OS. Unfortunately the
image was one for a single processor system.
Consequently my dual processor system is only using one
processor because it is lacking the proper Multi-
processor driver (hal). How can I fix this so both
processors are functional under Win XP Pro without
reinstalling the OS. A risky solution is to load the
driver, but what I'm trying to figure out is if this can
even be done.

Regards,
C. King

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
There isn't a supported way to do this. You need to do a reinstall to get
the correct hal type on the machine. This is not just a driver change.
The hal type determines how a large part of device detection, power
management, and resource allocation work in the OS. People try to force
hal changes outside of the setup process, this does not make all the
changes to the OS that are required to make this work properly.
Certain hal options are allowed, some are not
Read the following article that talks about hal options and points to
additional knowledgebase topics on hals.
309283 HAL Options After Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 Setup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309283
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]