Mucks' PC has stopped crunching

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Patty - I will read and inwardly digest a bit later:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Muck's i just read your thread on the wcg linux board and i must say your will to stick with linux and the boinc console is damn impressive to say the least...;)

I had such a good laugh whilst reading it (sorry it's at your expense) did you ever find a solution from the guys over there so you could run it on its own not in a shell...

I was thinking of putting a linux distro on my little pentium 450 and running wcg on that but after reading through your thread i don't think i'll bother and just keep my existing windoze on there instead (as i could do without the hassle to be honest)...I have been thinking of installing a distro of linux but Jeee's if its that difficult to get programs to run troublefree i think i will wait for another year, I keep putting it off have done for some time...:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I have BOINC running in the background on one of my servers.

Just a little tweaking and i got it working, not sure whether it'll launch a Shell in GUI mode of Linux though as im using pure console based servers, but when im using the server, BOINC is never in the way, it's always hiding as a process in the background.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Muck's i just read your thread on the wcg linux board and i must say your will to stick with linux and the boinc console is damn impressive to say the least...;)

I had such a good laugh whilst reading it (sorry it's at your expense) did you ever find a solution from the guys over there so you could run it on its own not in a shell...

I was thinking of putting a linux distro on my little pentium 450 and running wcg on that but after reading through your thread i don't think i'll bother and just keep my existing windoze on there instead (as i could do without the hassle to be honest)...I have been thinking of installing a distro of linux but Jeee's if its that difficult to get programs to run troublefree i think i will wait for another year, I keep putting it off have done for some time...:rolleyes:
Next to "THINK" or Folding@Home this Boinc really seems like ... "oh, we need something for Linux" ... there is NO definitive "how-to" on it that is plan enough for me.

Oh, and don't worry about laughing at my expense ... I am deliberately being a sarcastic git about the whole thing. I'm very good at it. :D

Please, don't let me put you off using an older system to run "crunching" on ... if I can get some sense out of them then your 450 will be a little gem with Linux & Boinc ... as you can see I'm not interested in using any 'script' to start or stop as my system runs 24/7

I do not know why it just stopped and I was totally lost as to how to restart it ... now I am asking one or two questions at a time only, and I'll just print off the answers. :D

It does look as though they do not know either how Linux & Boinc is supposed to work. Other people are using the Boinc_Manger, however on my Suse it just screws-up ... :rolleyes:
I don't really care what it does as long as it works.

:thumb:

Ask a Question