Mucks' PC has stopped crunching

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and I'm having all sorts of problems trying to get it to work again.

:mad:

It packed in around 9pm ... all my attempts to restart it have failed.

Oh, and don't forget ... I use Linux ... so offering me Windose advice will fall on stony ground.

So far no answer over at WGC. :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Mucks :( - is it just the crunching, or is the whole PC down?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't offer any sensible advice at all, so all I can say is good luck! :)

Does a restart not do the trick?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Sorry to hear that Mucks :( - is it just the crunching, or is the whole PC down?
Just the crunching :mad:

PC is fine ... very robust is Linux. :p

The Bonic Manager froze the system trying to connect with a 111 error ... easy to fix freezing in Linux, you just KILL the bad program. Oh, I could KILL anything right now. :rolleyes:

Compared to other "crunching" programs, this one from WGC is crap ... it really looks like a half-hearted attempt at a program, just to keep us Linux users quiet.

May have to wipe it all and start again ... :mad:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm back ...

Well I managed to keep crunching overnight ... :p

... and I have got it all back up and working. :D

Had to delete the folder and start again though. :(

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
That's good, the boy is back on form :thumb:

Had my system down overnight so got to do some making up on the points table over the weekend!;)

Reaction score
this is probably in the wrong thread, but the program i download to crunch, can i put it on a cd or memory stick, then take it to my mates house to install of there so he doesnt have to download it from the net?

cheers :thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
CITech said:
That's good, the boy is back on form :thumb:

Had my system down overnight so got to do some making up on the points table over the weekend!;)
Yup ... it is a very simple program ... just bloody annoying that "I" seem to have trouble with it.

Had to leave a Konsole open ... if I closed it then Boinc stopped as well ... fixed it this morning.

:D

this is probably in the wrong thread, but the program i download to crunch, can i put it on a cd or memory stick, then take it to my mates house to install of there so he doesnt have to download it from the net?
Yes, you can.

:thumb:

Reaction score
And to clear one last thing up, even if he isnt on the internet the program will still work up the % complete, then when he is connected it updates/downloads or whatever and starts a new task?

muckshifter

Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:
And to clear one last thing up, even if he isnt on the internet the program will still work up the % complete, then when he is connected it updates/downloads or whatever and starts a new task?
Yes!

:rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:

Yup, it can queue things up :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Not that I can find in Linux.

I'm still trying to get some sense out of WGC and Boinc ... which is what we Linux users have to use ... But I ain't getting very far.

There is no information that I can find on how to work this bloody Boinc crap. :mad:

phicksus

Sweet and Innocent
Reaction score
To que up extra wu in boinc you have to change the length of time that it connects to the network. I think the default is .1 days you can change it up to 10 days. You do that over at WCG in your profile under network usage.

I haven't found much info about linux & boinc either. :confused:

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

So i could put this on my laptop and it would run, then complete and start another new task and keep doing them,,, then say once a week i can connect my laptop up to the net and it will update evrything?

Reaction score
Pretty much yeah... although on laptop's you'll need to have it plugged in for it to do anything.

As once it goes onto battery power, the application pauses to stop the battery from being drained, there is however a tweak which can stop this but i tried it earlier and it depleted the charge in my battery within 30minutes, and the battery usually lasts for about 3hours otherwise.

Reaction score
So, what you are saying when i have my laptop plugged in through the charger (which i do anyway as my laptop only lasts a mere hour or so) it wont run the grid agent?

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
kingnathski88 said:
So, what you are saying when i have my laptop plugged in through the charger (which i do anyway as my laptop only lasts a mere hour or so) it wont run the grid agent?
No, I'm pretty sure you are OK so long as you are connected (and running) main power.

The software has a default setting to prevent running when you are on battery ONLY power, thereby saving your battery life.

Reaction score
Ok, so i can have my laptop running from the mains, and the grid agent will run, also it will que up several tasks untill it connects to the internet?

***sorry if i am being repetitive***

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the queing up tasks bit, on one of my PC's when the task finished for some reason it couldn't connect to the internet and it put it in pause mode - no new task started until it eventually uploaded.

This maybe because in my WCG profile I have selected an always on connection, perhaps if you schedule a once a week connection it downloads several tasks and queues them - anyone able to clarify this:confused:

I know that when I upload a result, I then get a download of a new task and off it goes crunching again.

Ask a Question