Count me in, again!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am really surprised that Mucks did not approach me even once for me to get back to crunching, I wonder why? :confused: Hey Mucks, you do want me in your team, yes, no?

Anyway, my excuse for being away was because of the problems associated with ATI drivers and frequent BSOD's and not forgetting heating problems as well. Both problems have been sorted out for me, the new drivers from ATI and Notebook Hardware Control, a great software for keeping the laptop cool and yet powerful enough for everything that I need to do.

I have not been active on this section of the forum so I will need to do a lot of catching up to do before I start crunching with the new software which I plan to download and work on this coming weekend.

Most of you guys have had good experience now and if it is not too much of a problem, please share some tips for me to get crunching again :D

I want to offer a sincere apology to all crunchers at PC Review for not being part of the team for sometime.

Reaction score
Good to see you joining the team Quad ;)

Everyone is welcome to the team... the more the merrier, and the more points we generate daily the better.

I'll leave Mucks to explain the in's and out's of BOINC and stuff for you to begin crunching.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
No worries Quad :D I remember you were having with overheating, which of course would explain the crunching :)

Good to have you back on the Team :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Would be great to have you back crunching Quad - most of the info you need can be found in the various sticky's.

The main choice would be whether to run the standard WCG Grid Agent or the Boinc Agent. This really depends on your system specs - if you let me know what they are (CPU/RAM/HDD/OS) - I can give you some pointers..:thumb:

:)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :) I just hope I do not run into any new problems this time. My system is running very smoothly and have had no issues whatsoever.

Ady you wanted the specs so here they are:

IBM Thinkpad T43, P M 760(2.0GHz), 1 GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HDD, 14.1in 1024x768 LCD, 64MB ATI Radeon X300, CD-RW/DVD-R Multi-Burner, WinXP Pro fully updated.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You are around the CPU level where I think the standard WCG Grid Agent would be best, especially as I don't think there is a performance tweak for PentiumM Processors to use with the Boinc Agent.

As you probably want simplicity and stability, I would therefore recommend the WCG Agent :thumb:

There are a couple of adjustments that will need to be made in your default profile once set-up, I will pass those on when you have done.

If you go to the "WCG - What is it etc" sticky, download the software, register with the PCReview Crew II, and away you go!

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
It will be good to have you back with us Quads. :)

Good decision mate :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I am really surprised that Mucks did not approach me even once for me to get back to crunching ...
Nope, not my style ... I won't banter anybody into the 'team' not at the cost of loosing a good PC or Laptop. However, I do remember asking how many PC you could get access too ... :D

I get quite embarrassed that everybody keeps calling "it" my team ... please folks, the team is ...
"The PCReview Crew II" ... not me, I just live here, remember. ;)

Now ... it's about bloody time ... took you long enough to sort that "thing" out ... suppose I'll have to get a "welcome" to the new cuncher thread going and you'll be wanting a new title as well too. :rolleyes:

Work work, all work. :rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one Quad! :thumb:

The more the merrier!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well, I istalled the software and started crunching already :)

I am monitoring the temps and it is way on the higher side at 81 Deg and my laptop is not in aposition to rest on me lap (oouch). The threshold is set at 85 when warning messages pop-up and at 95 Deg system will automatically shutdown. See the pic

Is anyone using a laptop for crunching? What are the temperatures like?

I also tried to join the team but could not find PC Review Crew II on the grid :confused: Am I missing something:(

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 137

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks, but because of slightly higher temps does not mean I give up ;) I will work around far a solution. Me stubborn you should know by now :D

As for joining the team I get an error as follows

Error
white.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

• The application is unavailable at this time, please try again later.
Your action has resulted in an error.

This is minor issue so will try later and sort it out, thanks for providing the page link.

By the way the temp is again rising and my tiny finger on the left hand can feel the heat of laptop.

take a look at the attached pic, i am enjoying the Sahara breeze :D

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 141

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Must just be a temporary thing for the join link I guess Quad. As for the temps, if you limit the CPU utilisation to say 50% it might be ok?

82oC is really hot, so hopefully you'll be able to get round it somehow :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like I finally made it on the team even though I have not completed any jobs at hand, currently showing as 16% done.

I will find a solution somehow to get to bottom of why the temps are high. It would be sad if I cannot find a solution :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Quad, I have been crunching 24/7 on a PentiumM 1.7GHz Laptop since we started, and have not had any temp problems - I would have thought your 2.0GHz PentiumM should do likewise - the only thing I can think of is how well it is being cooled and the ventilation.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Quad, I have been crunching 24/7 on a PentiumM 1.7GHz Laptop since we started, and have not had any temp problems - I would have thought your 2.0GHz PentiumM should do likewise - the only thing I can think of is how well it is being cooled and the ventilation.

Ady,

Appreciate your feedback. :)

I have been trying to figure out the reason for the high temps and following is my conclusion

1) The temperature of computers is linked to the ambient temperatures and in my area these happen to be much higher than UK. It does make a big difference there.

2) The 2.0 Ghz laptops tend to be running much warmer than say 1.7 Ghz ones, my previous laptop was T41 and at 1.6 Ghz was cool as a cucumber in most situations, I never had to worry about heating problems.

3) The T Series of IBM Laptops have the best cooling systems compared to most laptops, any review you pick up of a T Series laptop the reviewer is always having very high praise about its cooling efficiency.

4) T43 was the first with the 2.0 Ghz processor and the processor itself is prone to high temp on its own compared to the lower clock speed ones so not sure how much is the contribution of this processor in getting the temp to be higher, I know for sure it is on the higher side but I do not have any accurate data to support my claim.

5) The software that reports the temps are also not very accurate and tend to vary in the reporting so that is also a concern for me since with NHC software (Notebook Hardware Control) the temp reported is much higher than what the other program is reporting (Everest Home Edition). The later software is no longer updated and is discontinued so not sure if it is as accurate as I would want it to be.

I am looking for some other software now to find out if I can get accurate data. What are the temps like on your machine? Which software do you use for reference?

Ask a Question