MSVCR80.dll library

When Windows Defender Beta2 is installed, some of my applications report an
error:

Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed

Actually the only way i have to launch the application is to uninstall
windows defender. Weird problem, windows defender have a bad side action
without show he is the problem.

n`Ahu

Dave M

If you had searched these forums for MSVCR80.DLL, you'd have found this
thread...

From Steve Dodson:

If you are seeing an error message stating MSVCR80.DLL is missing, please
delete c:\program files\windows defender\MSASCui.exe.manifest and let me
know if this resolves the issue

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP

Sorry, i had launch a search, but the search did not restrict to Windows
Defender forum but made the search in the whole forum.

Anyway i did not have any MSASCui.exe.manifest in my "C:\program
files\windows defender" then i can not delete it.
I just fresh re-install from the lastest msi from the site.

n`Ahu

Dave M said:
If you had searched these forums for MSVCR80.DLL, you'd have found this
thread...

From Steve Dodson:

If you are seeing an error message stating MSVCR80.DLL is missing, please
delete c:\program files\windows defender\MSASCui.exe.manifest and let me
know if this resolves the issue

--
-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
Windows Defender Beta Lead
MCSE, CISSP

--

Regards, Dave

n`Ahu said:
When Windows Defender Beta2 is installed, some of my applications report
an
error:

Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed

Actually the only way i have to launch the application is to uninstall
windows defender. Weird problem, windows defender have a bad side action
without show he is the problem.

n`Ahu

If finally found the post you quoted.

He talk about windows defender who do not lauch.

For my part, Windows defender works well, it is some other applications (not
all) which can not launch when windows defender is installed.

I did not have the :
"This Application has failed to started because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
re-installing the application may this this problem"

but :
"Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed"

from another application than the windows defender only.

In my case the only way i have to launch the other application is to
uninstall Windows defender. Even stop the service does not correct the
situation.

Best Regards,
n`Ahu

P.S : sorry if my poor english make you misunderstand my report.

Dave M said:
If you had searched these forums for MSVCR80.DLL, you'd have found this
thread...

From Steve Dodson:

n`Ahu said:
When Windows Defender Beta2 is installed, some of my applications report
an
error:

Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed

Actually the only way i have to launch the application is to uninstall
windows defender. Weird problem, windows defender have a bad side action
without show he is the problem.

n`Ahu

Dave M

Hi n'Ahu;
Sorry, I did miss-understand the problem initially. Take a look at this
subject in the general forum it might help you if the "other" applications
you refer to can be made to ignore the error as John Van Kirk describes in
his response to Trish within this thread. He's using Norton OBC and
WinDoctor. I hope this helps in your situation, are any of your "other"
applications from Norton/Symantec?

From: Trish
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 02:20:02 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.general

--

Regards, Dave

Dave M said:
If you had searched these forums for MSVCR80.DLL, you'd have found this
thread...

From Steve Dodson:

n`Ahu wrote:
When Windows Defender Beta2 is installed, some of my applications
report
an
error:

Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed

Actually the only way i have to launch the application is to uninstall
windows defender. Weird problem, windows defender have a bad side
action
without show he is the problem.

n`Ahu

Hi n'Ahu;

Hi Again :)
He's using Norton OBC and
WinDoctor. I hope this helps in your situation, are any of your "other"
applications from Norton/Symantec?

No, sorry, it is a new MMORPG actually in stress test which will be launch
at the end of the month. I have no way to make it ignore the error, only a
box with the error message and an OK button which close all.

The thing is i use a program (called launcher), enter my login, password and
other stuff (without any option except the screen resolution) click on the
"Go" button and i get the box with the error.
The error occurs before the login was accept or reject by the game, i think
it append when the "launcher" try to execute the real game with the rights
options.

And i have nothing from Norton/Symantec on my computer ;)
My "antivirus" is the McAfee one (Version 8).

n`Ahu

Bill Sanderson MVP

Thanks - this is an interesting report--and you are not the first to make
such a report, but you are doing a clearer job of describing it.

Here's what I think I need--a clear set of reproduction steps, including
download locations for the app which is being impacted--so see if you can
find one which is publicly available for free in a trial version at least.

i.e. Install App A from URL A, see that it works.

Install Windows Defender--see that it works.

Now re-try App A, and get this error message

Make sense?

--

Dave M said:
If you had searched these forums for MSVCR80.DLL, you'd have found this
thread...

From Steve Dodson:

n`Ahu wrote:
When Windows Defender Beta2 is installed, some of my applications
report
an
error:

Executable '........' had the following unrecoverable error:
Couldn't find library MSVCR80.dll
Please ensure that is installed

Actually the only way i have to launch the application is to
uninstall
windows defender. Weird problem, windows defender have a bad side
action
without show he is the problem.

n`Ahu

This make sense to me :)

The client for stress test is publicly available by bittorrent download (no
direct download to my knowledge)

http://www.darkandlight.net/article.php3?id_article=1542
Take the "Download DnL Stress Test.exe"
In the page you have the instruction to install and lauch the client.

For testing, i think using a fake account (anything in account name and
password) is enough because when the error appears the game did not even
lauch the "video".
i.e. Install App A from URL A, see that it works.
-> using fake account give only a "account does not exist", "server not
online" or a "ressources outtodate" and this can validate the game go on.
Now re-try App A, and get this error message
-> Lauching video will not even come to you and validate there is a problem.
Make sense?
It make sense to me, you have better tools to see the problem than me :)

Is this enough for testing ?

Regards,
n`Ahu

Bill Sanderson MVP

That sounds good--I'm not sure what's possible--I'll let you know if more is
needed.

Dave M

Hi again n'Ahu;

It's a new day for me and I see Bill S. is looking at your problem, however
4 what it's worth, I found this on the DnL web site forums here:

http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59185

Originally Posted by Support Center
This in the recommended solution to fix the missing MSVCR80.dll issue.
To fix it, you will need to uninstall Microsoft Windows Defender. To do
this, please go in your add/remove program panel , look for the Microsoft
Windows Defender and select it and click on delete. Restart your computer.

If this doesn't work, please reinstall .Net Framework. To do so, first
uninstall it from the add/remove program panel then head to windows update
website and follow the instruction there.

If these solutions didn't fix your problem, please contact the support
center.

Regards,

Support Team

Dave M

....and yet another post:

http://www.darkandlight.net/forums/showpost.php?p=991884&postcount=13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiken Drum
When I had this problem I'd googled the message and saw people
suggesting that (on several forums someone from microsoft was telling
people not to do that under any circumstance). The reason it doesn't work
is the msvcr80.dll that installs to the winsxs directories is different to
the ones that go to windows system32. It's designed for "side by side"
(sxs) use which is a new way of dealing with the dll hell problems. It
requires the use of a manifest which the "normal" dlls don't.

I found the same thread that you are referring to. There is a Microsoft rep
saying not to copy the dll file to other locations.

I went looking around to see what is going on and the reason for this error
seems to stem from the dll manifest not being added when the application is
compiled. So it seems like this may not be a problem with Windows Defender.

I did manage to find a fix that will work.

Create new text document and add the following:

Code:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes'?>
<assembly xmlns='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1' manifestVersion='1.0'>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type='win32'
name='Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls'
version='6.0.0.0'
processorArchitecture='x86'
publicKeyToken='6595b64144ccf1df'
language='*' />
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type='win32' name='Microsoft.VC80.CRT'
version='8.0.50727.49'
processorArchitecture='x86'
publicKeyToken='1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b'
language='*' />
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

Once the file is saved rename it to: DnLLauncher.exe.manifest and place it
in the directory with the DnLLauncher.exe file.

I have placed this file in my directory and I am able to get past the
msvcr80.dll error (without uninstalling Windows Defender or any other
applications), but I then discovered that some files are missing from the
"installation" and it appears that the file checker/patcher does not run to
download and update these missing/corrupt files.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the last thread i miss. When i make rechearch on WWW i found only
Norton related errors.

Then if i well understood, the presence of the Windows Defender change the
comportement of the system about the Manifest in the application.

no WD in system -> no error is the manifest is not here
WD in system -> error if the manifest is not here

This may be pretty hard to understand for the "usual" consumer no which kind
of difference of comportment without anyway to understood it.

Thanks for all,
n`Ahu

Bill Sanderson MVP

That may indeed help, thanks Dave. This looks like a good lead on what's
really going on here--which, not being a .NET developer, is definitely
something new to me.

Bill Sanderson MVP

That's fine--anybody can report a problem. I'm not sure who's going to need
to fix this one, though--that seems quite up in the air to me still.

Bill Sanderson MVP said:
I'm not sure who's going to need to fix this one, though--that seems quite up in the air to me still.

Then, it is more a "problem" coming from WD ?

n`Ahu

Tom Emmelot

Hi,

look for MSVCR80.dll and copy it to C:\windows\system
There is the program looking for the file!

Regards >*< TOM >*<

n`Ahu schreef:

Bill Sanderson MVP

I've heard various explanations--it seems to be some form of "dll hell" type
conflict, but I don't understand it yet. I don't know whether it is
"windows defender's fault"--or whether the other app involved has failed to
follow some particular standard, or whether there's something unclear in
recommended .NET programming practices, and it is just now becoming visible.

Tom Emmelot

Hi Bill,

i did all what n`Ahu did, so download the game with Bittorrend and got
the same error, but after placing the MSVCR80.dll in C:\windows\system
the error has gone and the game started.

Regards >*< TOM >*<

Bill Sanderson MVP schreef:

i did all what n`Ahu did, so download the game with Bittorrend and got
the same error, but after placing the MSVCR80.dll in C:\windows\system
the error has gone and the game started.

Tom,
Move a dll is not recommanded, it will not be updated in the future in a
such place if it is not "normal" and can cause other problems
The dll have its own place and it is the right one.

Regards
n`Ahu