Windows XP MSN Problem

Reaction score
I think this is the right section if not the sorry :p.

Okay, i've had this MSN problem for months now and i have not got a clue to fix it, here's a few details.

I first bought a D-Link DSL-504T router quite a while back and everything was fine even when there were three of us on MSN at the same time, but then my parents bought a laptop and wanted to connect to the internet aswell, so then we got given a 3Com wireless router (i heard these were naff anyway :p) and it got set up.

But then ever since that my MSN never stays connected no matter if all three are on together or i'm on my own. When you sign up, it could disconnect straight away or you might have a little time to talk to someone but if you do talk it could disconnect even before i've typed a word out. All three computers have the same problem so i assume it's something to do with a router setting.

Does anybody know what is causing this as it's extremely annoying now. I'm currently using Microsoft XP and i'm using AVG Free but the other computers have Norton.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Seddo,

There is a fix HERE, which some people are finding does the trick. Hope it works for you, but if not, maybe someone can suggest something else. You're certainly not alone in having problems, a quick Google just now showed that quite a few are experiencing cut-offs.

Reaction score
Cheers mate, i'll give it a try :).

Edit: Nah mate, things were looking good for the first few minutes then it started disconnecting again :(.

I've deleted 3 MSN folders aswell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seddo said:
Cheers mate, i'll give it a try :).

Edit: Nah mate, things were looking good for the first few minutes then it started disconnecting again :(.

I've deleted 3 MSN folders aswell.

You could try resetting the router to see if this corrects it. Does this happen on both wireless and cable?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
wizkid said:
You could try resetting the router to see if this corrects it. Does this happen on both wireless and cable?

Thanks,

Wiz
Oh i've rest the router many, many times already.

Me and my sister are using a cable and my other sister and parents are on wireless and the problem happens with both set ups.

Reaction score
I take it you have reinstalled messenger and using the latest version? Also is messenger enabled through both windows and the router firewall?

Wiz

Reaction score
Yeah, i've deleted and reinstalled windows and i've even gone back to the very old one but then it forces me to update to the newer version anyway.

All the boxes are checked in the Windows Firewall area. Not sure how to check if the router settings are enabling MSN though specifically. But my routers firewall is set to medium.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seddo said:
Yeah, i've deleted and reinstalled windows and i've even gone back to the very old one but then it forces me to update to the newer version anyway.

All the boxes are checked in the Windows Firewall area. Not sure how to check if the router settings are enabling MSN though specifically. But my routers firewall is set to medium.

Hi,

Try turning router firewall off and see if the problem still happens. If it does not correct the problem then set it back to how it was.

Wiz

Reaction score
Right just turned the routers firewall off and no disconnection.....so far but i can't exactly leave my routers firewall off can i?.

Currently my allow list is empty on my routers firewall.

Some applications such as games, video conferencing, remote access applications and others require that specific ports in the Router's firewall be opened for access by the applications. You can configure the port settings from this screen. Note: Opening ports in your firewall can pose a security risk. You can enable and disable settings very quickly. It is recommended that you disable the settings when you are not using a specific application.

I have the options to add applications to the allow list such as Battle.net, Dialpad, ICU II, MSN Gaming Zone, PC-to-Phone and Quick Time 4.

Reaction score
Hi,

There is some sort of conflicting issuse between the firewall and messenger. You could try adding MSN Gaming Zone, and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
No look either i'm afraid :(.

I guess i'll ahve to downlaod another cat thingy or something.

Cheers for your help though.

Reaction score
Hi,

No problem, one last thing you could try is to update the firmware on your router go here and enter the model and then dowload the latest firmware and see if that corrects the issue. If not then let me know and I will have a look around and see if I can find a solution,

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question