Windows XP msn messenger

Reaction score
Can anybody help me........ for the last week I have been unable to connect to msn messenger and I can only put it down to my router, which is a Netgear DG834G. I had problems initially with it but managed to sort it out but it has suddenly stopped letting me connect. I have tried the firewall usuals but as its not just my laptop but the desktop pc as well I have put it down to the router.
Help.....:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Some of these Routers are very intelligent ... ;)

Which MSN is this ... 'cos everything seems to point to ... http://get.live.com/messenger/overview ... that got me lost. :blush:

Actually, I won't be much help I don't use it ... but one of the MSN Messenger uses UpNp so if your router does not support it ... try the new messenger.

:thumb:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Some of these Routers are very intelligent ... ;)

Which MSN is this ... 'cos everything seems to point to ... http://get.live.com/messenger/overview ... that got me lost. :blush:

Actually, I won't be much help I don't use it ... but one of the MSN Messenger uses UpNp so if your router does not support it ... try the new messenger.

Hi thanks for your msg, I have the very latest msn messenger (live) but its the fact that it worked last week and is now not working......very frustrating
Carole

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
explain what you mean by 'not working' ? are there any error messages ?

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
explain what you mean by 'not working' ? are there any error messages ?
The message that comes up is We were unable to sign you into windows live messenger, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your internet connection. Please make sure you are connected to the internet. To try and let us troubleshoot the problem click the troubleshoot button. Error code 81000306.
I have followed all the steps in the troubleshooter with no success, which is why I think it is down to the router. I have checked my firewall, Zonelabs, and the correct exe file is there and allowed. So I am baffled.
Carole

muckshifter

Reaction score
... err, hang on though.

Thankyou so much! I changed my netgear dg834g v2 router firmware to 3.01.25 and everything is working fine now! Well done on figuring that one out! Thanks again.
I have a DG834G v1, and I was running older firmware. I upgraded to this version and it fixed my problem too. Thanks!
Looks like it could be a 'problem' router ... :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I also upgraded the firmware for my router and I have finally been able to get back into messenger.............Carole

muckshifter

Reaction score
You're welcome ... thank you for posting back.

If you would like to "test" your Router, pop over to GRC.com and take the test for 'All Sevice Ports' ... I'd be interested to see if port 113 is open. Don't worry if it is, 'cos MSN proably still uses it ... MS may 'fix' that one day. ;)

* I still think your Router was correct to 'ban' MSN *

Ask a Question