Windows Vista .msi file is blocked

Reaction score
FIRST POST!

I have a PackardBell iStart, 1Gb RAM running Vista Home Premium.

I'll start by saying I'm a Mac guy so although I can work my way around XP reasonably enough, Vista is a completely different kettle of bananas. You can stop throwing tomatoes at me now!

I have had some software sent to me which I need to install in order to be able to work from home. It was sent to me as a .zip file and it was recieved through Viasta Mail (Not Outlook etc...) and transferred across without any errors or interruptions.

The file was transfered to my desktop and then double-clicked open. Inside is a .msi file. When I attempt to open this file, the following message is displayed:

"Windows has found this file is potentially harmful - to help protect your computer, Windows has blocked access to this file".

I have Norton 360 installed, but this appears to have come from system level without any Norton intervention. I have tried switching off every single security option I can find (before you tell me I'm incredibly stupid, I have had the utmost confidence from the company who sent me this that it's a legit application, licenced by them to distribute freely, and that no harm will be caused to my computer, to the extent that they had made themselves liable should the worst happen) but the problem persists.

I need this to work and I *assume* that there is always a work-around - any ideas?

Dazzer21

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That is simply a MicroSoft Installer file ...

Windows Installer enables customers to provide better corporate deployment and provides a standard format for component management. The installer supports the advertisement of applications and features according to the operating system.
However, Vista uses Windows Installer 4.0, which incorporates new capabilities to take advantage of Vista's UAC. So, if the installer/program is Vista "compatible", you shouldn't have gotten any errors.

I'm not sure what to suggest, not seen that problem before ... what is the "program" you need?

Ask the supplier of the software for a direct download link, or the CD. :thumb:

We have no problem with Mac/Linux/Sun/BSD/Unix/QNX/VxWorks or even DOS users, as long as they stay on topic ... oh, welcome to the forums. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Muckshifter

I managed to get around it in the end. It seems that the problem wasn't actually with the .msi file itself, but the .zip file it was contained in. By opening the properties on the .zip file and checking the box relating to un-blocking the file, the archive could then be opened and the .msi file installed without any problems. As you might understand bearing in mind my background, I would normally relate the problem of a file not opening to the actual item in question - not going back a step or two to rectify the problem beforehand...

However, rant over. Many thanks for your input and I hope that this forum continues to put the minds of those not in-the-know to rest.

Cheers

Dazzer21

Ask a Question