msconfig, startup

Simanek

Have XP Prof,
My system srarts very slow. I went throug the system with
the help of the support center and we took out a number
of items and it worked faster. Since then I have added
programs and has slowed up.
How can I determine what should be checked and items that
I can uncheck.

Carrie Garth

| "http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx "
<[email protected]>
| wrote in message | Have XP Prof,
| My system srarts very slow. I went throug the system with
| the help of the support center and we took out a number
| of items and it worked faster. Since then I have added
| programs and has slowed up. How can I determine what
| should be checked and items that I can uncheck.

You determine the program that is slowing your computer through
the process of elimination. That is, on the Startup tab in the
System Configuration Utility (msconfig) click to clear all check
boxes. Reboot. Then add items back one-by-one, rebooting each
time. Repeat until the symptoms reappear.

For more information on how to "Isolate Problems by Using the
Startup Tab", open msconfig, click the button labeled Help, and
search for the words in double-quotes (without the quotes).

Note that this process will only help you determine what is
slowing your computer, not "what should be checked and
items that I can uncheck." To answer that question you will need
to consider the function of the program and your computing
environment.

The following Web Page my help you identify the function of 3rd
party services and applications that are slowing your personal
computer. It includes a Description and a Recommendation on what
you can do about the program.

Task List Programs