MSCONFIG All or Nothing?

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~

I think there is a big flaw in MSCONFIG in addition to the flaw of a lot of
programmers out there in so many companies that put their ego before common
sense.

My HP All-in-one (problems included) printer comes with nearly 500MB of
software including useless applications and stuff. It is bundled in a way
that you must install ALL or nothing (in which case the printer does not
work). The wonderful programmers at HP have made this wonderful piece of
software that installs 4-5 SERVICES running in the background even though
you use them for like 1% of the time. One of these processes actually
becomes a bottleneck during login because your user login gets blocked, you
see the desktop but can't do anything with it for 3-5 minutes until all the
HP services "flower up". Then I have to manually kill one of them (a process
that logs things to the hard disk, how wonderful!!!).

Then there is a bunch of other applications or utilities that are not often
used yet they deploy themselves as services as well. All of this taking up
precious resources.

So, I used the MSCONFIG Utility to disable some of these services that I
only use every now and then and don't see the necessity for them to be alive
in the background bottlenecking important tasks.

The problem with MSCONFIG is that if you disable (selectively) the services
you don't want -I am not disabling any MS services- then you get this
annoying pop up on every login saying that you are in SELECTIVE STARTUP.

Then the only alternative it gives you is a "knife or life" kind of thing.
Your only choice is to choose Normal Startup again and it automatically
enables all those useless services you wanted to get rid of in the first
place.

Why can't MSCONFIG just have a true selective startup where things remain
like the user wants???

Just wondering

Em.

Arecibo

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ wrote:

[...]
The problem with MSCONFIG is that if you disable (selectively) the
services you don't want -I am not disabling any MS services- then you get
this annoying pop up on every login saying that you are in SELECTIVE
STARTUP.
[...]

If the warning is bothering you, just uncheck the box in the window. You
won't see the message again. It works for XP Home anyway.

philo

Opinicus said:
WOW! That is a nifty tool. Thanks for pointing it out.

Another thank you here!

Ran it on two machines now and eliminated a number of useless registry
entries etc...
that the normal registry utilites missed!

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

you really don't need
500 megabytes of cramware.

your hp device and windows
function perfectly if you only
install the "device drivers".

you ought to uninstall all
of it, if not now you will
eventually....
--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Jim

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ said:
I think there is a big flaw in MSCONFIG in addition to the flaw of a lot of
programmers out there in so many companies that put their ego before common
sense.
The problem with MSCONFIG is that if you disable (selectively) the
services you don't want -I am not disabling any MS services- then you get
this annoying pop up on every login saying that you are in SELECTIVE
STARTUP.
Only if you don't see the box which if checked disables the notification.
Jim

Val

If there are services you don't want running, why not disable them in the
services.msc control?

[...]

Bruce Chambers

~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ said:
[...]

What you're forgetting is that Msconfig was designed to be a
*troubleshooting* tool; it was never intended to be used as a "startup
configurer." Simply use MSConfig to determine the location of the
command that is attempting to start the program, and remove it. To
cease the selective startup notifications, either return your settings
to the way they were, or permanently remove the undesirable programs
from your startup configuration.

In most cases, with "well-mannered" applications, it's usually as
simple as opening the undesired program and deselecting the option to
"display icon in the system tray" or to "start when Windows starts."

Additionally, Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up and C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start
Menu\Programs\Start Up folders, and in the system registry, primarily in
the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310560

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Ken Blake

Arecibo said:
~~~ .NET Ed ~~~ wrote:

[...]
The problem with MSCONFIG is that if you disable (selectively) the
services you don't want -I am not disabling any MS services- then
you get this annoying pop up on every login saying that you are in
SELECTIVE STARTUP.
[...]

If the warning is bothering you, just uncheck the box in the window.
You won't see the message again. It works for XP Home anyway.

And XP Professional as well.

Not to mention that MSConfig was never designed to be used as NET Ed is
using it. It's meant to be a troubleshooting tool, not one for permanently
disabling startup items.

It works for permanently disabling, if you understand how to use it (as you
point out above), but it's manifestly unfair to talk about a a so-called
"flaw" that results from using a product in a way that it was never designed
for.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

i agree that msconfig is
flawed with respect that
it provides access to third
party software.