MS Word is crashing Windows XP, requiring a cold boot

Julien

Folks,

Thought I'd try this group instead, hoping to have better success in
getting a decent response. Hopefully, some of you reading this are
clued in.

Don't know where to start on this one, there's a whole trail of blood
and the bleeding has yet to stop...

** THE PROBLEM **
i) Description: Basically, when I use Word (Ver. 2002, SP2) it crashes
Windows (Ver. XP, all service packs applied). The crashes occur when I
carry out simple tasks such as typing, highlighting or deleting text,
and occasionally, just by scrolling to another area.
The majority of crashes occur when I'm typing. The cursor will freeze
and sometimes change shape (e.g. cut in half), and then the o/s is
completely stuffed, nothing responds. I then have to power off the PC
to get it going again.
ii) Frequency: Usually within 5 to 10 minutes after I start using
Word.

** HISTORY **
I started noticing the problem last year when I was running Win 98SE
and Word 2000. The problem was identical, but not as frequent.
However, because I wasn't using Word regularly, I didn't give it much
thought.
About six months ago, I started working from home and had to use Word
full time. That's when I started noticing it more and more.
i) Office 2000 Re-install: The first thing I did, after trying all the
Office 2000 and Win98SE patches, was to re-install Office 2000 from
scratch. Result=same problem.
ii) Win98SE & Office 2000 Re-install (with all patches): same problem
iii) Upgrade to Windows XP, Home Edition: same problem, even after
applying all critical updates and patches.
iv) Upgrade to Office XP: same problem, even after installing the
latest service packs.

Because I have tons of other software installed and configured on this
PC, I wasn't keen on re-installing the whole PC from scratch. But...
that's what I did last weekend. So, a fresh install of Windows XP and
Office XP = same problem.

** SUSPECTED CAUSE **
Some type of problem with Word... I guess!
I use other office software such as Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook
without these problems.
No other software on my pc crashes either (e.g. MSN Messenger,
Netmeeting, CD Burning software, various multimedia apps,
dictionaries, etc...)

** OTHER USEFUL INFO (Maybe...) **
PC: ACER Aspire - Celeron 366, 256MB Ram; 16GB HDs (two physical
disks, C:=6GB, D:=10GB)
Devices: MS Internet keyboard (which was replaced, to no avail);
Creative Webcam; USB card reader (for SD, Compact flash, etc...);
Creative CD burner; 3COM Lan Adapter

** TEMPORARY SOLUTION **
My wife's laptop.

** SUGGESTIONS LISTED IN OTHER POSTINGS **
I've tried a few suggestions from replies to other postings including
re-installing my display driver and printer driver. Both of which
yielded no results.

If you have any ideas or potential solutions, that would be great.
This problem is driving me nuts, and has taken up far too much of my
time.

Awaiting your response.

Julien

S.Sengupta

Hello!Julien!
Iam just trying to help you.
1]Start your computer in Safe Mode and recheck.
2]Update all the drivers [keyboard;Mouse;Video Card etc etc]
3]Open Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer- Here you
look for application error logs.
4]Open WORD; under Help you choose Detect and Repair > Select Discard my
customized settings and restore default settings >Start
5] Start >Run >type sfc /scannow > ok
6] Scan your system with Latest virus definitioned software as well as
Spybot.
regards/
ssg/pronetworks.org

dave

It's definitely a word problem.

Doesn't happen often to me, but on occassion Word-2000 will suddenly and
unexpectedly completely crash the system and cause the operating system
(Windows) to reboot. Like pushing a reset button on the older pc's. Win 98
& XP Home both affected. For me, effects on XP-pro are unknown at this
time. I've seen it so far on Gateway, Compaq, Toshiba pc's. Basically
everything I own.

Dave

Julien

Thanks.

I'll give your suggestions a go.

Stay tuned for the results!

S.Sengupta said:
[...]

Yves Leclerc

Might you also be using WinFAX software? I know that there is a bad macro,
which is used to install the "Print to Fax" . Symantec has a fix for this
in the Knowledgebase.

Yves.