Ms Office Icons

Reaction score
positive thinking

Gabs, it's all to do with positive thinking, if you know you can do it and stick with it you will succeed what ever happens.:thumb:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gabs, I looked at lots of accountancy software a while ago and I thought by far the best was 'Mind Your Own Business'.

It's a UK based company, so is sympathetic to our VAT system and the like.

I've tried Sage some years ago, I didn't like it at all.

You'll only need the basic version of MYOB, I think it costs anything from £55.00 to £80.00, depending on where you shop. I seem to remember Dabs and Misco offered good prices.

Here's a link: MYOB

In the end, I didn't actually go for it, I just use lots of spreadsheets in Excel. I can understand them, but I'm not sure if anybody else could ;)

I may yet buy MYOB though, I like the look of it.

I back up all my work stuff daily to another hard drive and then about once a month to a DVD.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Flops!! I quite like the look of MYOB and see from their blurb that you can integrate billing hours etc.... which might be handy for me as I am on hourly rate and different travelling rate + mileage. I think I might try the 30 day trial that they offer. It looks quite user friendly!!!

Many thanks again.

Gabs xx

Reaction score
Accounting is made easier in Excel if you know how to write the formulas without the wizard

e.g. =Sum(A7-A27)

or CountIF statements etc...

Macros are fun tooo :)

Good luck Gabs :)

Reaction score
go for the trial offer

Any company that offers a free trial of their software do it for 2 reasons, one they hope once you install it on your pc you will not want to delete it at the end of the free offer, but will buy the upgrade or full product and 2 they probably know what they offer is a good, viable product. So nothing to loose by going ahead with it, Gabs. If you love it great, if you hate it you have not spent £££ on finding out:thumb: It put's you in a sort of win, win situation;)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Feckit and Chris P

I ave just downloaded the MYOB trial and I need to lie down in a dark room!!!

I am tempted to swear in a big way but won't cos I know it's naughty and as for forumulaes in Excel - whatever floats your boat I say!!!!

I just want something that takes account of the stamps I buy and other sundries plus the capital items I bring with me (the lappy/PC etc....). I am at a loss as to how to record proceedings to date.... I am 6 weeks away from starting properly but have needed to get a few bits and bobs so have recorded those items as 'start up costs' in my trusty book (with receipts all nicely numbered and cross referenced to the book).

I thank you all for your help and I will have a look at the £9.99 easy peasey spreadsheet I posted about earlier cos that looks something like what I am wanting. But if anyone knows a nice soul in the North who would talk me through some sort of idiot's guide to all of this, please let me know!!!! I shan't be VAT registered at least for the first 12 months and the way I am going I might not make it that long. But I am not happy about slapping a box of receipts on the accountant's desk for him to make a packet from me when I can record stuff ok, it's the process and the issues of compliance I am struggling with!!

Gabs xx

Ask a Question