Zone Alarm + Windows Xp: Loss Of Internet Access

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi all

I am posting this in the hope that it might be of help to someone. This week, Windows released a security update. For XP users who also use Zone Alarm, this is causing a loss of internet access. Please note, Vista users are not affected.

To correct the problem:

1 Change internet zone slider to medium (in firewall settings on ZA).
2 Uninstall the hotfix (in add/remove programms) - this appears as 'security update for windows KB951748'.

Bingo, job sorted :)

It took me two days to fathom this out and perhaps it might save someone else a frantic hunt for the solution to the problem.

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
gabriella said:
Hi all

I am posting this in the hope that it might be of help to someone. This week, Windows released a security update. For XP users who also use Zone Alarm, this is causing a loss of internet access. Please note, Vista users are not affected.

To correct the problem:

1 Change internet zone slider to medium (in firewall settings on ZA).
2 Uninstall the hotfix (in add/remove programms) - this appears as 'security update for windows KB951748'.

Bingo, job sorted :)

It took me two days to fathom this out and perhaps it might save someone else a frantic hunt for the solution to the problem.

Love

Gabs xx

Go here Gabsxxxxxxxxxxxx>TC wrote about it earlier https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=12284519#post12284519

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Plus Taffycat's Zone Alarm fix HERE if the other measures don't work. :thumb:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Sorry, I could put my head in a bag - I checked the recent posts and couldn't find anything relating to the recent problems wth ZA :(

Gabs XX

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
gabriella said:
Sorry, I could put my head in a bag - I checked the recent posts and couldn't find anything relating to the recent problems wth ZA :(

Gabs XX

;) Don't worry Gabs, better to inform people twice rather than not at all :thumb:

I bet this has really caught some people out - I can't understand how ZA can let such a massive problem slip through the net.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I can't understand how ZA can let such a massive problem slip through the net.
I can ... better to use Windows Firewall than ZA free.

:nod:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well over 50 million people around the world using ZA would beg to differ..:nod:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I can ... better to use Windows Firewall than ZA free.
muckshifter said:

nod.gif

I agree, everytime I have used anything with the word "free" in it, something has gone wrong along the line..

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I agree, everytime I have used anything with the word "free" in it, something has gone wrong along the line..

You must have been very unlucky. I've used Zone Alarm, Avast, AVG, a-squared, Spybot S&D, Comodo and Antivir over the years - all free and no problems. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
More developments since last post. My daughter had the internet connection problem mentioned in this thread. Yesterday I removed the offending MS Update and the internet connection was restored.

Today she tells me that the problem has reoccured and when I check I find that the update is back ! It must have been downloaded again, presumably through Automatic Updates.

I removed it again using Add/Remove in Control Panel and have now set the updates to manual instead of automatic.

It seems strange that after removal that it should reappear.I wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?

Reaction score
nivrip said:
It seems strange that after removal that it should reappear.

Not really strange if the computer was set to auto update..When the saerch wizzard starts, it looks for new and old updates the computer needs..Not just the latest updates..So lets say you remove Update "KB abcdef" that was updated 7 months ago..The wizzard will search for that aswell as any new updates..And appologies in advance if this sounded patronising..It honestly isn't meant to be..

Ask a Question