Mp3 Size Of Files?

Reaction score
Hi there!

I bought a mini MP3/radio. On the box it says '256 player holds 120 WMA songs (60 MP3)´. I just figured I could get 60 songs on to it, but after 9 U2 songs (saved to My Music file from a CD and transferred to the mini MP3), it says the ´disk´is full and sure enough I checked the properties and the songs run about 27-34 (Uhm, I´ve forgotten what but it´s the size ). So...

1) What is (a) WMA ?
2) Is music that you download from the internet for an MP3 somehow smaller in file size so you can get transfer more songs onto your MP3 player?

Thank you in advance,
Linda

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A wma file is Microsoft Windows' own file conversion format.

A wma file is aprox. half the size as a typical mp3 file.

When sellers of mp3 players calculate how many songs their players will hold, they usually estimate the average song to be 3 minutes long.

Reaction score
Mp3

Thank you so much for your reply! If you are on the other side of the ´pond´(I´m in Houston)-you are up really late!

So, if I somehow? use the microsoft conversion format I can reduce the size of the songs that I have copied from my CD? I just dragged and dropped the songs. Should I have used the Windows Media Player to do that?

Take care,
Linda

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
T'ain't that late, lol, s'only 11.30pm here in UK.

You can convert most audio file formats to wma within Windows Media Player.

This would enable you to get a whole lot more music on your player but at some slight reduction in sound quality, although it's barely noticeable with most decently converted rock or pop music.

I've never used wma files myself, solely mp3 files at 192 bitrate, so I'm not famliar with the process. Hopefully somebody else will be along to guide you.

And Welcome to the Forum, by the way :)

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
in windows media player the default settings are to always rip an audio cd to 128kbs in wma format so as long as you havnt played around with the wmp settings you can rip cds into wma. Now to convert you excisting songs into wma format. Ok i did some searching in wmp and the best way i could find it is to add all the songs you want to convert to a playlist to get burned to a cd and that will convert them all the wma format before burning a cd you can do this by going into the buren section of windows media player and then on your left wheree you can select what playlist you want to burn select all music and uncheck the songs you dont want to convert. Sorry i could not find a better way to do this.

chelseafc20005

Reaction score
Mp3 Thank You!

Thank you for the add´l info. Actually, this is a Valentine´s Day present for my husband and I was trying to put some music on it before he opened the present. Thank all ya´all (as we Texans say-we think of those as actual words) so much for your help and for taking the time to look up how to do this.

And please, never apologize. I´m sure all of us are very grateful for for whatever suggestions any of you may have be they small or large.

(Too bad I´m not 12 years old, I´m sure it would have been much easier to explain!)

Do take care and again, thank you so very much.
Linda

Reaction score
128kbps at 44.100 hz is more than ample for a track.
Unless your a sound engineer with great hearing and know what your listening for you probs couldnt tell the difference.

MP3 is approximately one 11th the size of a wav file

so example;

34.7MB Ripped CD Wav file @ 3mins 25s

would turn out to be after compression

3.15MB as an MP3 (standard layer 3)

This all depends on the frequency you encode it at tho. The same file at 192kbps would be 3.80MB

I'm sure you get the picture ;)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
MP3 ,WMA

Its all about white noise , down rover down ,i cant hear anything ,down boy. damn dog its got a mind of its own ;)

Ask a Question