What to buy for 30gb mp3 player? ipod or zen?

Reaction score
Hello guys, i am new in the area of mp3 players. Till now i had just music on my computer and some on my mobile.
Now i decided to buy an mp3 player of 30gb, and i have come down to either ipod or zen.

I have some questions, as i dont know anything about these 2, but just what i read through surfing through the internet.

1. Does creative have its own software as i-tunes?
In this software i can rate songs, create new sub categories of genres etc, for easy navigation?

2. Zen has the feature were for example i want to play now a bacth of songs with characteristics: spanish song , which are rock n roll and which are rated above 4/5 for example?

3. I have as i said about 8gb of songs on my labtop, with zen can i just upload them to it? With apple i should transform them to mp4?

4. Does zen include the cable for connecting the player to the computer? Because i read that apple does not include any cables.

5. If i put 10 gb of songs, i can also just upload on the players other stuff that i have on my pc, like documents, photos, etc, in order to have it as a back up disk?

I have been searching for the above simple answers but i could not find them anywhere, as i think they would expect anyone like me would exist
rolleyes.gif

Guys i would really really be very thankful to anyone that would help me!
I will be searching info for the next week and then i wil buy the player the week after.

Thank you very very much in advance!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
hariseliades said:
Hello guys, i am new in the area of mp3 players. Till now i had just music on my computer and some on my mobile.
Now i decided to buy an mp3 player of 30gb, and i have come down to either ipod or zen.

I have some questions, as i dont know anything about these 2, but just what i read through surfing through the internet.

1. Does creative have its own software as i-tunes?
In this software i can rate songs, create new sub categories of genres etc, for easy navigation?

Not sure but I think so

2. Zen has the feature were for example i want to play now a bacth of songs with characteristics: spanish song , which are rock n roll and which are rated above 4/5 for example?

I haven't got a clue, sorry.

3. I have as i said about 8gb of songs on my labtop, with zen can i just upload them to it? With apple i should transform them to mp4?

Yes, as far as I know the Zen Creative uses the mp3 format, I-Pod uses mp4a.

4. Does zen include the cable for connecting the player to the computer? Because i read that apple does not include any cables.

I'd imagine Zen do, my I-Pod 30Gb video came with a USB cable for charging and uploading.

5. If i put 10 gb of songs, i can also just upload on the players other stuff that i have on my pc, like documents, photos, etc, in order to have it as a back up disk?

Yes.

As mentioned above, I have the I-Pod, it looks great, sounds great, but...

The battery life isn't very good, most I-Pod batteries fail after about 15 months and replacement either has to be done by Apple (expensive) or you can do it yourself if you know what you're doing.

I-Tunes won't allow you to download songs from your I-Pod (although there is unnofficial software that can do this, free).

Creative Zen sounds great, plays more video formats than the I-Pod, has a voice recorder and FM radio.

FM Radio and voice recorder are extras on the I-Pod.

And you can buy spare batteries for the Creative Zen and change them on the move.

The I-Pod is a nice piece of kit but in my opinion compared to the Zen, it's limited. And the Zen is a little cheaper as well.

So there's a few things for you to chew over :)

Reaction score
Just to clarify the last two questions I think it was

Yes Creative do use mp3 the newer models may also use mp4 aswell im not sure.

The Zen does come with all cable needed for data transfer via USB2 unless they have stopped including them with their products recently.

If you still aint sure about any of the answers given im sure Creative have all the info you need on their website for each individual player ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question