Creative Zen help appreciated

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have a little problem with one particular CD that I've been trying to add to my Creative Zen's playlist.

I added the CD in exactly the same way as all the others: first I ripped it to WMP, then synched it to my mp3 player. All the other stuff works fine, but, for some reason, this one CD stops, 19 minutes along, when I'm playing it back.

Naturally, I checked to see that it had been ripped properly in the first place, and yes, it plays back fine on WMP.

I've tried deleting it completely from the Zen, but the same thing happened after adding it again. Also, I tried re-ripping the CD from scratch, but still no joy. It makes no difference whether I add the CD content to the Zen's own memory, or an SDHC card.

Is this just something that "happens" sometimes...? Or does anyone know of a solution please?
I'd really appreciate your help.

Creative Zen 4 GB (expandable with SD cards) uploading/synching using Vista/WMP 11.

Thanks guys :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's possible the CD has anti-piracy software on it, it's not on the Sony label (or a subsidary of theirs) is it?

Other than that, yes files do get corrupted occasionally, for no discerible reason.

I'd suggest trying the whole process again, making sure the CD is clean and scratch-free.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Flopps.

The CD is brand new, I've checked for marks - but it's clean and no, there isn't any anti-piracy software on it. As I mentioned, it is okay after being ripped to WMP, and if I play it from there, I can listen all the way through, but just the hiccup when it reaches the Zen.

I have another in the series (sold separately, not a boxed set or anything like that) and no probs at all with that. So a bit puzzling. :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well, quite simply then, it don't like your choice of music and gives up playing it. :nod:

Is it a compilation CD with one track that has DRM? ;)

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ok, I shall "come clean" and you can all have a chuckle :p The CDs are relaxation (hypnotherapy) so a mixture of voice and some soothing sounds backing them. (I'm intolerant to most meds, so GP suggested trying this for migraine and, to my surprise, they actually help a bit. :blush:)

Anyway... I've been using one for ages, but wanted to try another title, and it is this one which is giving all the probs. You get into this lovely tranquil state, then suddenly..... nothing! Lol Obviously there is absolutely no "danger" of getting stuck in a trance or anything daft, but it's not exactly helpful either, to get cut-off when just heading off with the fairies, so to speak. :rolleyes:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Going on what you have said Taffy it seems like the CD or at least one of the tracks on it if its a compilation has DRM built into it..
I have had the same thing happen when playing things on my Ipod and its the only thing I can put it down to..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I did wonder whether it might be anything to do with a "quiet part" of the CD "fooling" the Zen into thinking that it was the end, or something like that? Although that seems a bit unlikely. I suppose it might be worth having a word with the publisher, to see what they have to say. :nod:

Last edited:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Problem Solved

I think I've managed to solve the problem. Not quite certain exactly how... other than to say that I just downloaded a media converter/player called "MediaMonkey" (just the free version) and gave that a try. Now I can playback the complete tracks on my Zen.

Just thought I'd let you know - and thank you again for the replies.
:D

By the way... fwiw, the hypnotherapist used to be the bass player in a band called "The Vagrants" which later became "Sugar Ray Five" ... just wondered whether Flopps had heard of them?

Last edited:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have just downloaded that MediaMonkey software Taffycat, and it looks pretty good, now I have just done the same thing to a few of my tracks that wouldn't play and I have converted them to a lower bitrate at the same time..128kbps as opposed to 320kbps as its this that sometimes stops certain players from playing tracks..

I'll let you know how I get on when I install them to my MP3

Also I'm going to look into whether this software could double as my Itunes substitute as I hate Itunes and have never got on with Winamp over the years..
This has a very easy interface and has Ipod Sync built in aswell..

Thanks for that Taffycat..I'll report back on this soon as..I'm going away for a couple of days so probably won't get back to you until Thursday evening..

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Cheers Crazylegs, :thumb: it'll be interesting to hear how you get on. It recognized my Zen too and synched easily.

However, it also inspired me to check a little bit deeper into WMP and I discovered that one could twiddle with the settings there too (i.e. altering bitrate, or setting the conversion for MP3 - I've only been using the WMA setting, which normally, is fine. Using MediaMonkey I set it to rip to the MP3 format, so I guess that might be why it has worked....) I'm now kicking myself, because if I'd discovered that setting in WMP in the first place, it might have worked, duh... lol. Oh well, live and learn I guess. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just as an aside, I've used a software ap named dbPoweramp for cda/WAV/mp3 conversion for what must be ten years now, it's always been fine.

It used to be free but I think you have to pay for it now, not sure.

It captures from CD fine and also has an add-on for recording from an external source, which I've also used for years.

But it does only deal with those three file formats.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Just as an aside, I've used a software ap named dbPoweramp for cda/WAV/mp3 conversion for what must be ten years now, it's always been fine.

It used to be free but I think you have to pay for it now, not sure.

It captures from CD fine and also has an add-on for recording from an external source, which I've also used for years.

But it does only deal with those three file formats.

Thank you - I've just had a look at that one Flopps, and there is still a free version, so here's a link :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Tiger Balm rubbed into each side of the temples is very good for migrane.
nod.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Tiger Balm rubbed into each side of the temples is very good for migrane.
nod.gif

I have to say that's one thing I've not tried, but I've just Googled it and can see there are two kinds... I'll be happy to give this a try - thank you for the tip :thumb:
:nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The stuff my sister uses on my recomendation comes in a very lttle red tin with a tiger on the lid and lotsof chinese writting on the tin. I usually pick them up from chinese supermarkets.

The chinese look on migraine as a stomach related problem that can be aliviated by dietry moddification.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
The chinese look on migraine as a stomach related problem that can be aliviated by dietry moddification.

nod.gif

I agree with that one...I suffer from serious migranes....Have been to see a few different people about it and all come back to diet...I eat loads of dairy products, when I cut them out..Woohoo no migranes...And when I say migrane I get crippling migranes where I can't even move..Usually ends up with the Dr giving me a shot of morphine and pethadine..Not nice..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
err, you actually want to use the white balm ... think it was the one me mum used for our aches & pains. Was recommended by one of our "amah" when we were in Singapore.

Me, I liked Tiger Beer better. :nod:

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Guess I'm lucky, never suffered from migraine, just the occasional nasty disease, lol ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I think migraine is sometimes thought of (usually by folk who have no experience of it either personally, or in their family) as being just a "posh" name given to an ordinary headache, by drama queens. But like Madx, I can be "out" for several days at a time, in intense pain, (not to mention the vomiting and general yukkiness which go with it.) But unlike Madx, I'm not a candidate for meds/injections, because I react badly to them. Spent an hour with a Neurologist just a couple of months back, trying to sort something out, but it's all very hit and miss.

This is why I have been trying out some alternatives - like the hypnotherapy CDs. They are not a "cure" of course, but the thinking behind it, was that they might help to reduce the number of attacks I get. But you get to a point sometimes, where almost anything is worth a try, just in case it turns out to be "the" answer.

So reckon I'll be giving the Tiger Balm a go... ;)

Ask a Question