Windows XP Mouse keeps shutting off

Reaction score
  • Operating System: e.g. Windows XP
  • Anti Virus Software : Avast home edition
  • How do you connect to the net : e.g. ADSL (router?)
My mouse keeps turning off or freezing to the point where i cannot use it. I have an microsoft wheel mouse optical usb

I've looked up on ways to solve this problem already such as:

going to the device manager and making it so the power saver is shut off for usb ports

and I've also downloaded drivers for the mouse from microsoft, but nothing seems to work. I've also tried a new mouse - the same exact kind and still the mouse will turn off, no matter the usb i use

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's strange, although at least we can confidently rule out the mouse as a fault :)

If you boot in to safe mode does the same thing happen? Does it do this as soon as Windows has loaded, or does it happen after a period of time?

Reaction score
I have yet to rule out safe mode, or if it happens over a period of time

At first i had thought it was power issues due to the fact that i recently started using dual monitors. But i've disconnected the second monitor and aswell clean up my harddrive a bit but still the mouse acts up. I am beginning to think that it is a virus. I do not know how i would get rid of it though seeing as I only use avast. I use to use McAffee but it would not update when i did an upate so i stopped using it.

Reaction score
Can I suggest going here and download the software. It contains the Intelipoint driver remover tool plus the drivers for your mouse. I'd say use the tool to remove all traces of any drivers that are already installed then once that is done install the drivers that are in this software download or the ones that came with your mouse, if any. Hope this is of help. :thumb:

Reaction score
I downloaded that program already in order to see if it would work, i've unistalled the drivers and so on and it was getting all goofy for awhile. Right now i let my comp sit for couple hours to do a scan with Microsoft windows malware software tool and the mouse seems fine

i'm starting to think it either has to do with how much the mouse it used, or its just a virus

Reaction score
sedempire said:
Bump. please help. i cannot find a solution

Sorry Sedempire, other than the info I provided in post #4 I can't think of anything else. You could always try a wired mouse and see what happens then. See if you get the same sort of problem or not...

Ask a Question