Motherboards

Reaction score
Hi everyone i am looking to upgrade my motherboard i currently have:
ECS GeForce7050M-M 1.0
I was looking at this motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H AMD 790GX Socket AM2+ Motherboard.

Please id appreciate your veiws on this board and wether you think it would be a good upgrade from my current one.
Thanks alot..

Reaction score
Hi there, thanks for your reply.
I play world of warcraft on this rig, looking to play other games too.
Amd 64x2 6000+
Viesta 4gig Ram
HD4870 1gb card
Vista ultimate 64bit

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Not sure you need the integrated graphics and crossfire that this board offers if you have a 4870 1gb as it won't run at x8 as the GDDR5 memory is too good.

Probably something like this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...0G (Socket AM2+) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

As your probbaly not gonna use the extra £55 worth of features on the other board. Put the extra cash towards something else you need, i.e. monitor, soundcard + speakers.

Or

At the start of the year i had a 9850 phenom on this motherboard but sold it as i thought the phenom was a bit crappo. However the motherboard is pretty good, is actually cheaper and better than the one you linked to. It supports crossfire on 2 x 16 lanes so a year down the line you can get another 4870 to add in, also it supports your AMD x2 and with a BIOS flash will support the new AMD Phenom II that is due out so you don't need to change the motherboard or memory to upgrade the CPU. The Phenom II is alleged to be a lot better than the original attempt at a quadcore from AMD.

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MBM-K9A2P&af=50

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Forgot to add, you should be able to reinstall Vista Ultimate again without Microsoft claiming its already in use, as Vista links to the Motherboard, when you reinstall if it does say its already in use and won't activate then use the automated telephone option.

But it should be alright on Ultimate.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your input, Just a thought my current motherboard i have would you say it is any good?

The last motherboard you linked me looks verg good btw

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
It looks a bit basic, but if it works and your getting decent frames in games with your 4870 and 3.0Ghz CPU then do you need to upgrade?

It will probably speed up your system some and provide a better platform for what you already have and offer better upgrade options later.

Is upto you mate, your cash.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your present board looks ok to me. As WF says why upgrade ? In real terms you will not notice any difference in grapics quality if you only get a few fps extra. 10 fps and upward you might get to see a difference but only if your monitor will show the difference.
Me I'd wait untill the thing dies before upgrading.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
The reason im looking to upgrade is because i was having graphic problems with "wow" juddering and lag, but with low latency, i changed the gpu from a 9800gt 1gb to what i have now and i changed my psu from a generic one to an enermax galaxy 850w. I still get the graphic issues basically if you can imagine the graphics around my character when running cant seem to keep up so i get a lag effect, but when there is a lot happening like for instance a lot of spells going off its fine. My other option was a good gigabyte ethernet card. My monitor is an Acer p223w so after the motherboard that was going to be my next target.

I guess im clutching at straws here from what im saying do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks alot....

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
What kind of internet connection do you have???

The only real ways to lag are that your PC is powerful enough or your internet speed is crap. Espcially if playing internationally.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
PC should be powerfull enough. Have you tried testing individual components with software diagnostic tests ? Have you updated all drivers etc ?

user.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
All drivers are upto date, as i said i have changed my GPU, PSU, another thought could it be my Ram?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Never had to test me memory so the choice is yours. that should do though.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Hi Abarbarian, thanks for your input.

I just tried an experiment in world of warcraft, what i did was faced my character to the right of the screen against a wall so that when i ran the wall filled the whole screen with all my character in view first i turned vsync off and when i ran i was getting lines and tears in the graphics, which is understandable. But when i turned on vsync and ran against the same wall i was still getting lines and juddery graphics although nowhere near as bad and this is what i cant seem to stop happening. With my setup wow should run like a dream. My monitor has a 5ms response time and 60mhz at max resolution maybe the 60mhz isnt enough but im sure the human eye only notices up to 60mhz.

Sorry if this post is getting tiring it is annoying me now too lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does this happen in any other games or just WOW? Hhave you checked the temps of the card as this could be an overheating issue download this and crank up the fan to about 80% and then try WOW again and see what happens. Does this only happen when you are online?

Reaction score
Hey Wizkid, I played wow with the fan turned up and still the same ( what a racket ) its has to be either my monitor response rate is more than the stated 5ms or my motherboard is breached somewhere, but before i do anything ive just bought crysis on ebay so gonna run that and see how my system copes.

Here is my system spec btw...
Motherboard: 7050m-m
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+
GPU: HD4870 1gb
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA Device [CD-ROM drive
SAMSUNG SP2004C [Hard drive] (200.05 GB
4gb Viesta Ram
Windows Vista ultimate 64bit
Acer 22" Monitor P223W
Enermax galaxy 850w PSU

Last edited:

Ask a Question