Motherboard Transplant

I am working on a friends Emachines T2642. It appears the motherboard is
shot. I can get her a less expensive non-emachines motherboard.

I'm not sure the CPU is good. Replaced the Power Supply with a new one.

Hard drive is good as I checked it out as a slave using another PC.

What problems will windows XP give me when I install the different
motherboard. Will it even boot up on a new motherboard? How do I go about
getting re-activevation? The 25 character Windows XP certificate is on the
back of the box.

Before I spend $50 or more of her money on a motherboard I need to know what
problems XP will give me.

Thanks,

Pat

Jim Macklin

The OEM version of XP is probably BIOS locked to the
EMachine mobo. Whether you can get it to boot with a third
party mobo, whether the CPU is shot, many issues.

Why is the mobo shot? Was it spiked by a power surge?

Keep in mind you can get a complete replacement for $400 or
less from Dell.

"HappyRockCPU" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
|I am working on a friends Emachines T2642. It appears the
motherboard is
| shot. I can get her a less expensive non-emachines
motherboard.

| I'm not sure the CPU is good. Replaced the Power Supply
with a new one.

| Hard drive is good as I checked it out as a slave using
another PC.

| What problems will windows XP give me when I install the
different
| motherboard. Will it even boot up on a new motherboard?
How do I go about
| getting re-activevation? The 25 character Windows XP
certificate is on the
| back of the box.
|
| Before I spend $50 or more of her money on a motherboard I
need to know what
| problems XP will give me.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Pat

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Pat;
Chances are high you will not get Windows XP to work with the new
motherboard.
Normally after a motherboard replacement, a Repair Installation is required
to properly detect the new hardware.
Emachines ties their Windows media to their motherboard.
Since you are using a motherboard from a different manufacturer, Windows XP
installation will probably not be possible.

You should either get an Emachines motherboard.
Or prepare to buy Windows XP or whatever OS she desires.

paulmd

HappyRockCPU said:
I am working on a friends Emachines T2642. It appears the motherboard is
shot. I can get her a less expensive non-emachines motherboard.

I'm not sure the CPU is good. Replaced the Power Supply with a new one.

Hard drive is good as I checked it out as a slave using another PC.

What problems will windows XP give me when I install the different
motherboard.

1) Driver issues, which you can resolve.

2) You will have to reactivate. Usually the internet activation works
just fine. Worst case scenario is you cave to call up microsoft and
tell them your emachine died and you had to replace the motherboard.
Will it even boot up on a new motherboard?

Maybe. The INACESSABLE_BOOT DEVICE BSOD is a common problem. You can
fix by doing a repair install. Of course, you need an actual XP disk
for that, not the emachines' restore disk. It's a good idea to back up
your data.

How do I go about
getting re-activevation? The 25 character Windows XP certificate is on the
back of the box.

Before I spend $50 or more of her money on a motherboard I need to know what
problems XP will give me.

Thanks,

Pat

You have the classic Emachine's sudden death. Usually it's motherboard
and power supply. But sometimes the processor gets killed, too. Anyway,
fixing these is a multiple organ transplant procedure.

Emachines XP home COAs usually can be reactivated without issue.

Looks like it would be cheaper to get one of the new $99 after rebate
machines, than go the repair route.

Thanks for the heads Up.

paulmd

HappyRockCPU said:
Looks like it would be cheaper to get one of the new $99 after rebate
machines, than go the repair route.

Careful with them ultra cheap machines. Like emachines, they tend to
(a) suck, (b) die prematurely and/or (c) tie you to some internet
contract. Read ALL the fine print.

If you want a new basic system, go with dell or hp (both have too much
bloatware, but at least the hardware works). Avoid emachines, and also
avoid buying from tigerdirect. Gateway does OK, but their low end line
is historically crappy.

Also, look at dell factory refurbs and scratch and dents. There are
some good systems that can be had for much less than normal.

paulmd

Jim said:
The OEM version of XP is probably BIOS locked to the
EMachine mobo. Whether you can get it to boot with a third
party mobo, whether the CPU is shot, many issues.

Why is the mobo shot? Was it spiked by a power surge?

The pattern of e-corpses in my shop suggests that the Bestec power
supplies in the emachines just kill their motherboards, and themselves
simultaneously. Alive one minute, and dead the next. Not a user fault.

I work at a computer recycling center, I get lots of dead machines of
all kinds. The black and silver emachines have a phenomenal mortality
rate. Old eTowers, seem to be still alive, mostly, to their owner's
dismay. :)

Jim Macklin

I am reminded of the sign my father had,

"QUALITY
If you want nice clean fresh oats you must expect to pay a
fair price.
If you can be satisfied with oats that have been through the
horse;
You can get those a little cheaper."

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > The OEM version of XP is probably BIOS locked to the
| > EMachine mobo. Whether you can get it to boot with a
third
| > party mobo, whether the CPU is shot, many issues.
| >
| > Why is the mobo shot? Was it spiked by a power surge?
|
| The pattern of e-corpses in my shop suggests that the
Bestec power
| supplies in the emachines just kill their motherboards,
and themselves
| simultaneously. Alive one minute, and dead the next. Not a
user fault.

| I work at a computer recycling center, I get lots of dead
machines of
| all kinds. The black and silver emachines have a
phenomenal mortality
| rate. Old eTowers, seem to be still alive, mostly, to
their owner's
| dismay. :)

Bruce Chambers

HappyRockCPU said:
I am working on a friends Emachines T2642. It appears the motherboard is
shot. I can get her a less expensive non-emachines motherboard.

A new motherboard that's available at a lower cost than eMachines'
bargain basement component would almost certainly have to be a
refurbished unit, or come straight off a scrap heap somewhere.

I'm not sure the CPU is good. Replaced the Power Supply with a new one.

Hard drive is good as I checked it out as a slave using another PC.

What problems will windows XP give me when I install the different
motherboard. Will it even boot up on a new motherboard?

Not unless the motherboard is identical to the one you're replacing.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many factory-installed OEM
installations are BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore are
*not* transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
(a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with WinXP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
"tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

How do I go about
getting re-activevation? The 25 character Windows XP certificate is on the
back of the box.

If all you have to use is the eMachines Recovery CD, you won't even get
this far. However, the OEM Product Key affixed to the PC should work in
conjunction with an unbranded, generic OEM installation CD.

If it's been more than 120 days since you last activated that specific
Product Key, you'll most likely be able to activate via the Internet
without problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute
phone call.
Before I spend $50 or more of her money on a motherboard I need to know what
problems XP will give me.

It depends entirely upon the type of reinstallation CD you have. An
eMachines OEM Recovery CD won't work on anything other than the
eMachines motherboard for which it was designed. An unbranded, generic
OEM installation CD will work, and should allow you to use your friend's
current OEM Product Key.

(Caveat: I would waste time on any motherboard that costs only $50;
it'll almost certainly be trash. If you're going to fix the computer,
put quality components into it; they'll last longer.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

I agree with your recommendations, except that this lady is in an assisted
living facility with MS and barely has use of her upper extremities. She is
in a motorized wheel chair. So, for what little she may use a computer for,
she could probably get by with something less than the latest.

Thanks to all for the info. It will help me explain the options to her.

Pat

Bruce Chambers

HappyRockCPU said:
I agree with your recommendations, except that this lady is in an assisted
living facility with MS and barely has use of her upper extremities. She is
in a motorized wheel chair.

I can certainly understand your need to economize, given the situation.
Before choosing a motherboard, you'll need to balance your "client's"
budget with the best repair options available. You don't want this to
cost too much, but you also don't want to have to do this again in a few
months. Using overly cheap components can lead you to "nickel and
diming" the lady. In this case, a refurbished unit might be just the
ticket; it'll cost a lot less then a new motherboard, and, if it's from
a reputable vendor (not eMachines), it'll have been thoroughly tested
prior to being placed on the market.

So, for what little she may use a computer for,
she could probably get by with something less than the latest.

Oh, certainly. There's clearly no need for "bleeding edge" technology,
here. My primary concern was that too cheap a replacement motherboard
would likely lead to more problems, and not all that far down the road.

Thanks to all for the info. It will help me explain the options to her.

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: