more Sourceforge download problems

Achim Nolcken Lohse

A couple of weeks ago I reported inability to download KeePass from
Sourceforge, today I ran into the same problem with 7-zip442.

When I click on the download link in IE, it shows an html extension
for the file, and the download consists of a 14KB file with an "exe"
extention.

Same thing happens with Star Downloader.

There doesn't seem to be any site that carries 7-zip except
Sourceforge, so I'm stumped. I'll probably stick to versions vetted by
the group here, so it's not a great loss, but it's annoying to run
into this problem repeatedly at Sourceforge.

Anyone have an explanation or solution?

I'm running IE 5.01 and Star Downloader 1.42 under Win98SE, and they
seem to handle downloads normally at most sites.

Al Klein

A couple of weeks ago I reported inability to download KeePass from
Sourceforge, today I ran into the same problem with 7-zip442.

When I click on the download link in IE, it shows an html extension
for the file, and the download consists of a 14KB file with an "exe"
extention.
I'm running IE 5.01 and Star Downloader 1.42 under Win98SE, and they
seem to handle downloads normally at most sites.

Sourceforge download links go to an html page allowing you to choose
your download site. Your download manager probably can't handle this,
so turn it off when you're downloading from sourceforge.

Susan Bugher

Achim said:
A couple of weeks ago I reported inability to download KeePass from
Sourceforge, today I ran into the same problem with 7-zip442.

When I click on the download link in IE, it shows an html extension
for the file, and the download consists of a 14KB file with an "exe"
extention.

Same thing happens with Star Downloader.

There doesn't seem to be any site that carries 7-zip except
Sourceforge, so I'm stumped. I'll probably stick to versions vetted by
the group here, so it's not a great loss, but it's annoying to run
into this problem repeatedly at Sourceforge.

Anyone have an explanation or solution?

I'm running IE 5.01 and Star Downloader 1.42 under Win98SE, and they
seem to handle downloads normally at most sites.

lemme do a walk-through. . .
the 7-zip project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/
"download" link goes to the download page:

I'm assuming you want this file: "7z442.exe"
The download page that shows the mirrors for that file is here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe?download

I checked a couple of mirrors. . .

Phoenix, AZ
the link that's shown is:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe?use_mirror=easynews
The redirected (real) download link is:
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe

Minneapolis, MN
the link that's shown is:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe?use_mirror=umn
The redirected (real) download link is:
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe

I think I sense a pattern here. . . ;)

Seattle, Washington
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z442.exe?use_mirror=superb-west
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/sevenzip/7z442.exe

See if you can get the download from one or all of those links.

Now let's see about Keepass files:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/

file -> KeePass-1.05-Setup.exe
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/keepass/KeePass-1.05-Setup.exe?download

Phoenix, AZ
http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/keepass/KeePass-1.05-Setup.exe

Minneapolis, MN
http://umn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/keepass/KeePass-1.05-Setup.exe

Seattle, Washington
http://superb-west.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/keepass/KeePass-1.05-Setup.exe

Seems to be the same pattern. If these links work similar links should
work on most SourceForge files. Fingers crossed. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Achim Nolcken Lohse

Sourceforge download links go to an html page allowing you to choose
your download site. Your download manager probably can't handle this,
so turn it off when you're downloading from sourceforge.

Thanks Al. I should have tried that, but was misled by the fact that I
was able to "download" a file with the name of the target executable
with IE. Also, disabling Stardownloader is a big pain in the patootie.
I guess I'll have to give it back its icon on my desktop just so I can
turn it off.

Achim Nolcken Lohse

With Al's suggestion to turn off Star downloader (uncheck browser
integration) I was finally able to get the program (just for interest'
s sake, as I prefer to stick to PW sanctioned versions).

I did notice that the home site for the program no longer lists a
standalone version.
I found a site at www.scanwith.com that doesn't force you to go
through sourceforge. I was able to download from there with
Stardownloader.

No biggie, but if I were trying to download a huge file, such as a
LiveCD, I be sunk having to use a browser. A few days ago I downloade
Knoppix. It took more than three hours and then it failed the
checksum. I then made four coasters rather than do another download,
and one of them actually booted my system - only to tell me the files
it needed weren't available.

I had a sourceforge problem with Vector Linux too. It would only let
me download with IE. Estimated time - 120 hours (with no resume!).
They offered a pay-for download site too, and that would only have
taken 30 hours ;(.

In the end, I was able to download a copy fairly quickly from
www.kernel.org using Star Downloader. Strangely, this site wasn't
listed among the mirrors on the Vector Linux home page.

BTW - it wasn't worth the trouble, in my opinion. USB and SCSI
devices are not installed automatically, and have to be entered in the
fstab file manually by the user - a pretty onerous job for someone
just wanting to try Linux or one of its applications.

Elf Wizard

Achim said:
A couple of weeks ago I reported inability to download KeePass from
Sourceforge, today I ran into the same problem with 7-zip442.

When I click on the download link in IE, it shows an html extension
for the file, and the download consists of a 14KB file with an "exe"
extention.

Same thing happens with Star Downloader.

There doesn't seem to be any site that carries 7-zip except
Sourceforge, so I'm stumped. I'll probably stick to versions vetted by
the group here, so it's not a great loss, but it's annoying to run
into this problem repeatedly at Sourceforge.

Anyone have an explanation or solution?

I'm running IE 5.01 and Star Downloader 1.42 under Win98SE, and they
seem to handle downloads normally at most sites.

--

Achim
_____/)
axethetax

Hi Achim, hi all, :)

The 14KB exe file isn't an exe at all. Its actually only a link to
mirror's page. That's why Star can't handle it.
There is an easy workarround (working on my system).
Before clicking on link, disable Star's integration (on tray icon left
click and uncheck "Browse Integration").
Then click the link. This is opening the download page. Now you can
reenable Star's integration (on tray icon left click and check "Browse
Integration").
If the download couldn't start automatically, or start with IE, click
on download link, or left click it and choose "Download with Star".

I hope this helps.

Best Regards!!!
Giorgos. :)

Achim Nolcken Lohse

Hi Achim, hi all, :)

The 14KB exe file isn't an exe at all. Its actually only a link to
mirror's page. That's why Star can't handle it.
There is an easy workarround (working on my system).
Before clicking on link, disable Star's integration (on tray icon left
click and uncheck "Browse Integration").
Then click the link. This is opening the download page. Now you can
reenable Star's integration (on tray icon left click and check "Browse
Integration").
If the download couldn't start automatically, or start with IE, click
on download link, or left click it and choose "Download with Star".

I hope this helps.

Best Regards!!!

Hi Giorgio,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it on the 7-zip (Sourceforge) site, and it
worked for an IE download but not for Star Downloader. To start the
download, you have to click on a button that says "click here to start
your download", when you do, IE opens the save to disk dialogue, even
though Star Downloader's browser integration is checked again. And
right clicking on the button doesn't work - I get a browser edit menu
with all the options greyed out.

Elf Wizard

Achim said:
Hi Giorgio,

Thanks for the tip. I tried it on the 7-zip (Sourceforge) site, and it
worked for an IE download but not for Star Downloader. To start the
download, you have to click on a button that says "click here to start
your download", when you do, IE opens the save to disk dialogue, even
though Star Downloader's browser integration is checked again. And
right clicking on the button doesn't work - I get a browser edit menu
with all the options greyed out.

--

Achim
_____/)
axethetax

Hi Achim, :)

Strange! Something is going wrong here (maybe some program deleted
accidentally some registry entries related to IE integration)!
I think you have to unninstall Star and reinstall the latest version (I
think the latest version is 1.45) from its site (without the bundled
bar).
If the problem remains, go there to send the authors (on-line) a
message for help : http://www.stardownloader.com/support_contact.php .

BTW at my system I've installed Big Speed Zipper (Freeware from
bigspeed.net). It isn't a downloader (its a utility for opening zip
files on remote server e.g. for viewing what the zip contains, or
reading the release notes). Since it comes with a bundled downloader,
I'm using it when I'm facing problems with Star.

Good Luck!
Giorgos. :)