More Right click problems

G

I have also experienced right click problems, in fact, for about seven months have been findings work arounds.
The symptoms are as described by a previous author "Chris". If an icon on the desktop is right clicked on, the hourglass appears and the computer just hangs. Similarly if, Windows Explorer is in use, the first two or sometimes three left menu line items can't be used (File, Edit) as putting the cursor on them and clicking causes the same hanging. And similarly if a window is open showing folders, the change name etc commands cause the same hanging feature. In other words, a fair amount of useful windows features are lost. However, one can still use the rest of explorer to do things like mapping a drive to a network etc. This is a great inconvienence in that it slows down my work and often leads to rebooting if I accidently right click an icon.

Work arounds are sometimes difficult. The first rule is don't right click a desktop icon. So if you want to rename a desktop folder, make a new one, give it the name you want and then drag files from the old folder to the new one, and then drag the old folder to the trash can. Sometimes in working with programs such as Word and trying to use a drop down menu item, I find the problem occurs. Usually things work at this level though, and sometimes you can even rename at this level.

Another work around, if you accidently click and get hung up, try logging off rather than rebooting. Once you are logged off, you get the choice to log on again, and it is faster and seems to clear the slate of whatever the problem is. You get back to normal faster.

There are two possibilities for my lastest problem, one might be the update of Service Pack just released which was installed just before Christmas, a week ago, or the fact that I ran a Spy program and perhaps deleted some cookies etc. This was done day before Christmas. Just noticed the problem today. There were 26 spyware items found on my computer by this program, and perhaps deleting them caused the issues.

The problem started with my laptop, and now has expanded into all three of my computers. Was beginning to think it was a virus but have run command anti-virus, McAfee, and Norton on all the computers, and no sign of a virus.

On my laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, it occured last spring, right after an windows update, and using System Restore to an earlier time got rid of the problem. However, later in August, another windows update caused the same issue but System restore did not correct the problem. In October, out of digust with the whole thing, took my computer to a warranty depot and asked them to fix it. Their solution was to simply use the Restore disks supplied with the computer, and start over. Well, that worked until all the current windows updates were installed, and then the problem came right back. That put me right back were I started and have been trying to live with it since. So I still have it.

Now, it has occurred on my other two computers, on about a month ago, and yesterday, noticed it on my newest computer purchased only a year ago.

I have downloaded the program suggested, Regmon, but am having trouble interpreting the results and knowling what do do next.

I need some help.

B

Blowhards

Had this problem in Windows 2000 SP4 and couldn't find any solution
anywhere. Finally stumbled on profile corruption as the culprit.

Create a new account with the same permissions and group memberships
as the problem account. Log in as that new user and test. If right
click behaves normally there, the fix for the problem account is easy.
Just let Windows recreate the profile.

profile out of Documents and Settings. Then log in again with the
problem account so that Windows creates a fresh profile. Test.

If you're in luck and the problem is now gone, you can then recycle
useful bits of the old profile (i.e. Favorites) by copy and paste.

Ask a Question