modem error 797

Reaction score
On a Win2k system I get "Error 797 The connection failes because the modem was not found" for a newly installed internal Intel chipset modem.

Device manager says it is working properly and the diagnostics work just fine. There are no resource conflicts. Drivers are as up to date as possible. WinFAX can send FAXes OK and the cute little telephone console that came on the driver CD can dial out OK.

BUT when dial-up networlking is asked to dial an ISP it returns the 797 error. "Create new connection" has been run to set up the DUN icon and this makes no difference.

Any help to diagnose and fix this problem would be very much appreciated.

Peter

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i take it rebooting doesn't help either ?, have you tried uninstalling the driver then rebooting then installing it again ?

Reaction score
That's right; I've re-booted many times after re-installing, uninstalling etc as well as physically removing the modem card and re-loading. I've found two different drivers for this Intel chip set dates early this year and late last year and labelled as Win2k drivers and neither get me past this error message - the FAX and cutie dial-up console work just fine so the modem is working OK.

Reaction score
Extra info for anyone who might be able to help:
I've just temporarily installed a second hard disk and loaded Win2K and the very same modem driver mentioned in previous post. When booted from this temporary drive, dial-up networking functions OK! Tried from the main disk and it still fails.

Now, I'd rather not have to reload the OS onto the main disk, but it looks like I'll have to. I can't find anything in the MS knowledgebase that helps....

Any further ideas anyone before I start collecting togther the software I've loaded and start the big yawn of a full OS reload?
If Bill Gates had to do this sort of thing to solve what ought to be a simple problem, I'd bet the software would improve overnight!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Internal modems, at best, are crapp ... even with an Intel chipset. ;)

Save yourself some more headaches and get an external modem ... they are still relitivly cheap and more important, are, a hardware modem. Get a "com2" external modem as opposed to USB ... the 'com' port was designed for, wait for it, comunications. :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
who have driver of intel v92 external modem please send to me (e-mail address removed) thanks a lot

Ask a Question